Wega, too fast burn rate (Burns out under 1/2 speed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry if I missed how to search (been trying to do that b4 posting)

Austraflamm Wega (~25 yrs old) has begun burning too fast on low. LOTS of internal flying embers and embers swirling in pot.

Basement location (20' 6" flue) High wind area (but not today),

Combustion fan (?) (mounted at angle onto sheet metal under control panel) seems to be operating under variable speed OK. Exhaust fan (output) seems to have one speed (?)

Was acting up (noise from blower) so... cleaned as much as accessible (not much, didn't disassemble)
in the process the low temp limit switch on exhaust fan fell apart (heat damage). Fixed Low temp switch with high temp silicone while part is on order (that function is working fine). Thus the stove got jostled around a bit, AND I am not able to get behind / unscrew panels from rear (stubborn chimney connection is STUCK on the stove) so I rotated side to side to clean

But... there is a mini-inferno in the pot even at lowest setting (like too much draw on chimney) (Air Pot set to 1, tho previous 25 yrs to 3) as pellets burn and get light, they swirl and lift in the pot like a tornado. It will burn out unless at 50% + auger speed (that is a lot of fuel!)

I see a flapper / damper back behind and under the pot
. Too small for hand to get in there, but the flapper swings, but leaves a 16mm (5/8") gap at top (never swings clear shut). I am not sure how to get to it, but maybe remove exhaust fan? I also assume as soon as the exhaust fan starts it is going to draw that flap open.

Does exhaust fan work variable speed? It Doesn't seem to change RPM.

Any help appreciated.

Merry christmas and happy holidays.The wega is kind of and oddball(but love the warming shelf.Yes the combustion fan should change speeds with settings.Replace that damaged switch as soon as possible.But may have other problems,prob user board or control board,but possibly a bad connection,try unplugging and replugging everything.including connections on the boards.Will leave you some info,may help. http://www.pelletstoverepair.com/Wega Troubleshooting guide2.htm http://pelletstoverepair.com/Wegatroubleshooting.pdf

Merry christmas and happy holidays.The wega is kind of and oddball(but love the warming shelf.Yes the combustion fan should change speeds with settings.Replace that damaged switch as soon as possible.But may have other problems,prob user board or control board,but possibly a bad connection,try unplugging and replugging everything.including connections on the boards.Will leave you some info,may help. http://www.pelletstoverepair.com/Wega Troubleshooting guide2.htm http://pelletstoverepair.com/Wegatroubleshooting.pdf

Thanks for the help, I disassembled and cleaned everything.... damper box... but... still the inferno / need to run + 50%

What sensor / logic tells the combustion fan to change speed?
Does the vacuum pot ad to that function?
Can an 'in-line' rheostat be added to combustion fan.? In case I can't solve this?

The control board was flakey a few yrs ago, and required an occasional wiggle (to keep running)

Never been impressed with the Heat output of such a big stove (using to heat 2000 sf daylight basement, so.... might need a replacement stove.... any ideal candidates appreciated, but I will work hard to save the Wigan, as I only have a few yrs left to use it.

Thanks for the help, I disassembled and cleaned everything.... damper box... but... still the inferno / need to run + 50%

What sensor / logic tells the combustion fan to change speed?
Does the vacuum pot ad to that function?
Can an 'in-line' rheostat be added to combustion fan.? In case I can't solve this?

The control board was flakey a few yrs ago, and required an occasional wiggle (to keep running)

Never been impressed with the Heat output of such a big stove (using to heat 2000 sf daylight basement, so.... might need a replacement stove.... any ideal candidates appreciated, but I will work hard to save the Wigan, as I only have a few yrs left to use it.
Sorry,been away.Although I pride myself with knowledge of austroflamms,the wega is an american adaptation,i have only seen one out here.It appears to me that the fan speeds(comb and convec) are set by the knobs,through the programming in the control board.As this stove was advertised as a slow cooker and pie warmer,this would make sense.It does not have the air flow sensor the integra has(had) to have optimum burn.The internals of the stove are not much different than the integra,but to modify it prob would not be within reason of most people.It was designed to supplement your heat,not heat your house(still like most pellet stoves,today)and offer the convenience of heating/cooking.They are a beautiful stove,but is a reason no one uses them anymore.Best wishes.