Whitfield Profile 20-2 burning through pellets too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tylerrude4

Nov 16, 2022
Wyoming
Hello all, new to the page and relatively novice when it comes to pellet stoves. I purchased my home about 6 years ago, and it has has a Whitfield Profile 20-2 in the basement living room since I bought it. Old homeowner showed me how to run it and it worked fine for the first two winters. Then the control board went bad so I didn’t use it at all for a couple years after that. However this year wanted to use it more exclusively so I’ve been getting it running again. I had the issue with the 470uf 35v capacitor so I removed that and upgraded to a new one, and it started working immediately. However I’m having an issue with it burning through pellets like crazy! I just replaced the door gasket, removed the fire brick in the back and ran a flexible brush through the ash ports on the back wall of the stove along with some compressed air and a shop vac, cleaned all the chimney piping with a long drill brush, blew out the rear compartment with the panels removed, and cleaned the photo eye and the small amber lens under the photo eye. I’ve gone into the calibration mode and adjusted the heat to the lowest setting, the damper has the locking collar set at exactly 2 inches from the end, cleaned the ultragrate so all ports on it are fully open and functional. My issue is that this stove is running through a 40 pound bag of pellets in 10-12 hours and I know the first winter I used it, I could get 24 hours out of one bag with the heat on the medium setting and the calibration set to the factory middle setting. Any ideas what else I could be missing here? I see the small test terminals under the cover next to the calibration button for testing the auger, exhaust fan and combustion fan but I’m not sure what kind of voltage or amperage my multimeter should be reading when testing those small terminals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've got the same exact problem with excessive pellet use although I have not replaced the cap. Have you found any solution? I'm not quite sure on how to do the calibration. Do you have any documentation on it? If not, could you explain the procedure? I have a manual but it says contact a Lennox Rep for calibration. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

I've got the same exact problem with excessive pellet use although I have not replaced the cap. Have you found any solution? I'm not quite sure on how to do the calibration. Do you have any documentation on it? If not, could you explain the procedure? I have a manual but it says contact a Lennox Rep for calibration. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
No solution with mine yet. Just haven’t been using it until I can figure it out. Here’s the link for the website that shows how to calibrate it.

No solution with mine yet. Just haven’t been using it until I can figure it out. Here’s the link for the website that shows how to calibrate it.

Thanks! It's the missing page for my Whitfield Profile 20 Manual. From all the reading I've done I believe it might be my damper setting. I found that it's stuck and doesn't close all the way. Pellets are popping which I believe is too much air which uses excessive pellets. I'll find a fix. 😜