weigh my fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stone hands

Sep 15, 2009
mid coast Me.
just bought a fisher grandma bear in mint condition that i'm picking up this weekend.anyone know an actual weight so I know what to expect? also,how will it heat compared to my old comforter

WES999 said:
Acording to the manual The stove weighs about 500lbs. you can download it here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Fisher_Stoves/

BTW I have the same stove, mine is modified with a insulated baffle and secondary air.
I posted some pics here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17993/
About 7 posts down.

These stove produce a lot of heat but consume a lot of wood.

That's an awesome modification! Is it sill working out nicely? Has it caused any noticeable changes to the stove (e.g., causing it to become too hot in a given area, etc.)?

I didn't use the Fisher all that much last year since I installed the Regency upstairs, but that may change this year, I am working an a stove top heat exchanger for DHW.

The baffle mod seemed to make a good improvement, I noticed higher stove top temps, it makes sense as the smoke has to snake its way around the baffle instead of going straight up the flue.

WES999 said:
I didn't use the Fisher all that much last year since I installed the Regency upstairs, but that may change this year, I am working an a stove top heat exchanger for DHW.

The baffle mod seemed to make a good improvement, I noticed higher stove top temps, it makes sense as the smoke has to snake its way around the baffle instead of going straight up the flue.

Have you ever tried it to see the difference in stove top temps with just the baffle and the secondary air shut off?

Thanks for the weights,i was really hopeing for under 400lbs. I'll have to bring a trailer,truck bed will be way to high to lift to. I think stove is newer model with baffle [just seen pics]. doors have arched tops and say fisher on only one door with nickle trim of course. I went threw seven cord last year {9months} running comforter basicly wide open after the damper plate broke in january.the fisher can't be that hungry.really buying it for looks{though i'm the only one who ever see it} i'll write in more after my hernia operation, when i can snap some pics. p.s. I am passing on an nc30 with steel door for this old girl.the guy wants $450 {steal} any one in maine interested it's in Poland Me. I found ad in uncle henrys online in household items.

BrotherBart said:
WES999 said:

Have you ever tried it to see the difference in stove top temps with just the baffle and the secondary air shut off?

I made just the baffle last year. Never compared to having secondary air so I don't know the difference. But I can say that I could turn the old girl into a light bulb if fully loaded no problem.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31420/

Never did get around to trying to make a 2ndary air system. Now I have replaced the stove. Overall tho, the baffle made a big difference

IMG_1317.jpg

My Fisher Grandma Bear turned out to be a Fisher Teddy Bear. I bought it though {figured i can sell it if it can't cut it} For $300 it seems like a nice stove. anyone got any info? it does have a baffle and with drafts opened a 1/4 turn and damper at about 1:30 -2:00 it left me enough coals to get going without kindling. only takes 16" but will take big diameter.do I really need all the brick?I took the brick out of a shop stove once for quicker heat what is the advantage of leaving it in? most of my experience is with cast iron {no brick} This is the main heat source in my house and is run 24-7.it is located in basement of a 11oo sqr' ranch{2200 with basement}with open stair case to basement,and open floor plan, built by me 5 years ago with standard r19-r36 fiberglass insulation.I hope i won't be sorry when it's -20, my old comforter would keep it 68 in january if i left it 3/4 open and stoked it every couple hours with dri red oak. also, any thoughts on a fan i could put behind stove in back corner of hearth ?

Attachments

• stove pics 011.JPG
    stove pics 011.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 372
Keep the bricks in, they help with combustion efficiency and also help protect the metal. Have you tried blowing the cool air from upstairs down to the basement, it will help pressurize and push the warm air up the stairwell.

stone hands said:
just bought a fisher grandma bear in mint condition that i'm picking up this weekend.anyone know an actual weight so I know what to expect? also,how will it heat compared to my old comforter

Bring your 2 stoutest friends - 3 would be better but who has 3 stout friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.