Weight estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
Anyone have a good estimate what a round of fresh cut red oak 16" diam. 16" long would weigh?

I was guessing over 100 but under 150. It's green and heavy!

My husband and I used to estimate the weight of some of our oak rounds that we’d move when we lived in Virginia, and I thought I recalled that we used 65 lb per cubic foot to do that. I went to check that number to see if I recalled correctly and found what appeared to be a nifty calculator. I had a little trouble trying to use it but did come up with 117.29 lb for your round. There’s a chart to the side which shows 63 lb per cubic foot for red oak.

Well my guestimate was pretty accurate. I was judging by the damage I did to my body by handling these rounds.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have five 32" long approx 9-12" diameter fresh cut off the stump red oak logs out on the saw horses for cutting in half and the biggest one was maybe 100 lbs at 11.5" avg diameter. So a 11.5" round would be in the 50 lb range. It was a slog to get them out there off the truck on the driveway so sorry, but no I won't pull them back over to the driveway to weigh them.
Doing the math, there is approximately twice as much wood in a 16" round versus a 11.5" so a 16" dia round would weigh 100 lbs if my arm scale estimate is correct. Cut down the oak in late November.