1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

weight good indication of btu's?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by salmonhunter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. salmonhunter

salmonhunter Burning Hunk

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    Well im not very familiar with all the different kinds of trees I have cut this past spring. So im wondering is the weight of the splits is a good way to figure out the available btu's. Like I noticed that the white birch I cut seems heavier then some other kinda trees I cut at the same time in april. Im thinking the lighter splits would be better for burning now while its not so cold then save the heavier birch and unknown species for the colder weather. Or maybee the heavier species just haven't shed as much water. I dunno.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Weight with fresh cut does not mean scodush! Willow and cotton wood 2 examples! ;) Bad @ass saw with a great chain and finer saw dust will always tell the story! :cool:
    jeff_t, Thistle and TreePointer like this.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    If you are conparing fully seasoned wood or better yet, kiln dried wood, then I think it's a fair generalization to state that the heaver wood (greater density is a better term) will have more BTU's per unit volume. The problem is that some species season (lose cellular moisture) much faster than others.

If you search the Internet, there are charts that compare wood BTU's with density.
  4. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    what he said
  5. krex1010

krex1010 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southeast pa
    As was mentioned the weight of wood when green means very little, some trees are water hogs and some are not. But if you are comparing two woods with the same moisture content then I believe weight can indicate the heavier wood having higher btus.
  6. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I agree you can't judge wood by weight unless you know all of the wood is equally well seasoned. The simplest thing is to get a moisture meter and check. Your wood will not be all equally dry. You cut it only six months ago, and that is not enough time to season it fully, especially since you live in Eastern Canada, not the driest or hottest place to season firewood.
  7. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Soft maple and black cherry will weigh a lot more than ash when green, but they both have lower btu content, by volume, than the ash. As krex said, some species just hold more water than others. Other than looking it up on some table (which is what I recommend), dry is the only way to know.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure. Compare 1 year old oak to 1 year old soft maple!!! But if both species of wood is at the same moisture content after drying, then the softer woods will be lighter.
    milleo likes this.
  9. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Yes wood could be sold by weight if not for all the water inside it!