Weird colored flame burning Cubex.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I just burned 4 bags of Cubex due to the cold snap. From the minute they hit the burn pot there was streaks of greenish-orange flames I've never seen this in other pellets and never before in Cubex. Anyone else experience this? The colors went away as soon as I switched pellets.

no green in my Cubex, last year I had some green down low in the burn pot while burning Energex green bag and my brother inlaw is saying the same with his North American pellets this year.

Calcium also causes green flame. Boron like in boric acid can burn orange. So can Sodium as in salt. Sounds like those trees were living near salt water or a chemical plant/dump site. :)

Yikes, hazardous waste pellets!!! Don't be suprise if your neighbors become zombies!

Not likely Bank,

Most soil has various dissolved minerals and salts in it. As tj pointed out various things produce various colors. If one looks at a lot of wood fire flames over time one will find all kinds of different colors and it only takes a small amount of most impurities to cause a decent display.

Hey Smokey, yeah I was kidding, was just thinking of the old Dawn of the Dead movie!! Trace elements do make for a nice fire every now and then, kind of like a dura flame log in your pellet stove.

I just split a ton of Cubex with a friend and I agree that there are strange colors in the flames... some green tints and odd shades of orange.

No worries because the most important thing, the heat, is definately there.

Update on my first Cubex burning: These pellets seem to leave a much denser ash. In 24 hrs, the burnpot filled with dark chunks (instead of completely burning and ejecting it to the floor of the stove). It's also harder to find the sweet spot for the damper compared to the other pellets I've burned this year. I'm wondering if the 25 bags I just picked up are from last years problem batch I've heard about?

They are hot, but I don't want to deal with cleaning every day... the Hamers, Okies and Greene Golds all easily burn 3-4 days before I need to shut down and clean.

djs_net said:
Update on my first Cubex burning: These pellets seem to leave a much denser ash. In 24 hrs, the burnpot filled with dark chunks (instead of completely burning and ejecting it to the floor of the stove). It's also harder to find the sweet spot for the damper compared to the other pellets I've burned this year. I'm wondering if the 25 bags I just picked up are from last years problem batch I've heard about?

They are hot, but I don't want to deal with cleaning every day... the Hamers, Okies and Greene Golds all easily burn 3-4 days before I need to shut down and clean.

If you read my post about them you could very well have the BAD batch that was out early spring last year.

I know that the new tons coming out now are like the old good quality you expect and I plan on stocking up NOW so I don't run into the same problem like this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.