Weird noise when i open the door scratches or crackling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I had a fire this morning it was just at the coating stage and I was going to let it go out as we were leaving. I open the door and it sounded like something was falling down the liner. Like snow ice but I don't see how that could happen. I went for a minute or two the stoped but if I closed the door and opened it again the same thing would happen. I freaked out and thought a flue fire but didn't ran outside and didn't see anything.

Sounds like this could be some creosote igniting with the inrush of air.

Before I had to leave the house I put on some welding gloves and pull a few bricks out to see the flue. There was probably 2 cups of creosote flakes at the bottom so definitely time to clean but did I have a chimney fire? Nit a good picture it was hot and couldn't reach in any more

20221225_120519.jpg 20221225_120515.jpg

Take both hands, when the pipe is cool, and smack the pipe one hand on either side like you're clapping and see what falls. I doubt you had a chimney fire but I'd say you need to sweep.

Here's a better picture after I removed a brick. I'm just concerned if I had a chimney fire and if it's OK to keep burning after I clean it

20221225_185735.jpg 20221225_185731.jpg