Weld/repair wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
I am burning a R14 Regency wood insert and have recently noticed a couple of hairline cracks in the secondary burn steel that runs along the top side north end horizontal-- the section above the firebricks and below the flue baffle.
(I hope that makes sense, pics not available at this time.)
Question-- I assume this is repairable , but is it just as easy as getting a welder buddy to mend ? Any other experiences, wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Is the crack in the secondary burn tube (pipe with holes)? If so, they are replaceable.

It looks like a solid piece of steel that has two flanges that slide/fit over the firebrick from the top. It appears to be attached to the side (east& west) and the whole section sits on top of the firebrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.