Welding couplings on LP tanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it was on the piping. System is pressurized to 15 psi, still holding. I have also used JB Weld once again on the piping and does hold. The anaerobic would be a better solution as it is low viscosity and will creep into the pin holes to seal them off. The epoxy would be to high in viscosity and difficult to get into the pin holes.

huffdawg said:
REFire said:
huffdawg take a look at this[PDF]
Adhesives for Heat Exchangerswww.permabond.co.uk/files/Download/MKT_Heatex_rev2.pdf

I used this on my heating system and forgot about it until I read your post. I think its going on 8 years. You would have to get rid of the water at the fitting and make sure its dry and then apply. Good Luck

Did you use this on your storage tank fittings

Huff

Don't waste your time with epoxy. Do it right.

Pipe nippes are an option, malleable iron fittings will work, weldulets or coupulets are best, steel pipe couplings can work, just be sure they are tapered pipe thread, not running pipe thread. With cast iron fittings you are asking for trouble.

You haven't wasted time, you have gained valuable experience.

I had a quite a few leaks after my welder welded on my 2" nipples. I used a grinder to grind down the pin holes. I then used a 150W soldering iron and a steel flux with 60/40 solder. Covered them up and no more leaks. I am getting close to completing my plumbing on my EKO 40. Before I fill the system with water, I am going to fill my tanks one more time with air at 30 psi. My tanks are isolated from the rest of the system with 1-1/2" ball valves.

I zip cut all fittings off and had a welder weld merchant couplings on. He said all the original weld-o-lets on the LPG. tanks were all welded by wire feed . He said he would of used his wire feed but it was being used at another job.
Now the fun job of replumbing them all back in. :lol:

Huff

Status
Not open for further replies.