Well...4' does make a difference.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Added the 4' chunk of pipe today. Total verticle rise is now 17'8" from stove collar to base of cap.
Still not ideal, but much better so far.
Had a decent crosswind all day, drafted much better, and the load in the stove was small (4 splits)
My gut tells me it's going to work OK on a 1.5 setting without the fans on. This will be huge.
As a plus, I can see the stack from the back side of the house, nice to compare my lack of smoke to the neighbors stack (like they started a diesel engine). :p
Check in later, JB

Did you end up having to add additional bracing?

pen

Pen- yeah, I added the brace kit. Centerline of pipe is about 94" to base of cap, measured from the roof surface, on pitch. I put the brace collar on a little higher than 2/3rds. - per the destructions.
Check in later, wife "went to town" on the hearth in the kitchen, all gone now. I have my work cut out for me for a while (framing, insulating, drywall, etc,etc....)

Sounds like a lot of progress is, well, in progress. Sounds great, pics would be better tho :p

There should be a brace at every 5' above the roofline. Sounds like at least 2 are in order here.

There should be a brace at every 5' above the roofline. Sounds like at least 2 are in order here.
Ugh, had to take a break..
BG, the roof brace should be OK. Check the Selkirk UBRK install. instructions. Fig.8 is what I had to do. The illustration is almost a direct reflection of my install.

Ugh, had to take a break..
BG, the roof brace should be OK. Check the Selkirk UBRK install. instructions. Fig.8 is what I had to do. The illustration is almost a direct reflection of my install.

Thanks for that pointer. The Selkirk docs are incomplete. There needs to be a brace at every 5 ft above the roof penetration. Duravent has more explicit instructions.

Bracket must be installed at every 5-foot increment of chimney height above the roofline, leaving no more than 5 feet of chimney extending
above the last pipe bracket. The Extended Roof Bracket consists of the Pipe Band, the Adjustable Legs, and the Roof Brackets.

With a fire burning during hurricane force winds you definitely want that stack well braced.

BG, I put the collar at about 64" up the pipe, leaving about 30" above it. Is this going to work?

Yes, that sounds ok. Sorry for the caution note. It wasn't clear the total amount of pipe sticking up. I was visualizing 10 ft+ of pipe sticking up there. With 94" you should be fine.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Better to be safe than sorry.
It's drafting much better, get a good wind gust and you can hear the air being drawn through the T-stat housing.

Measuring from the low side of the slope, I have almost exactly 5' to the top of the cap on my chimney. The Chimney pipe rests in a cathedral box support inside. I have no bracing. We get some winds in the 60+ km/hr range especially in the late fall, early winter time. All chimney sections have locking bands holding them together but no bracing at the roof. This seems like a kind of "borderline" case since it's almost exactly 5'.

Should I be worried?

How is it drafting? Personally I think I would brace it, not only for the wind but for snow build up as well.

Reactions: jeff_t
Measuring from the low side of the slope, I have almost exactly 5' to the top of the cap on my chimney. The Chimney pipe rests in a cathedral box support inside. I have no bracing. We get some winds in the 60+ km/hr range especially in the late fall, early winter time. All chimney sections have locking bands holding them together but no bracing at the roof. This seems like a kind of "borderline" case since it's almost exactly 5'.

Should I be worried?

Why worry? Put a brace on it then you know you are good up until the roof lifts off.

pen

Reactions: jeff_t
Thanks pen / begreen. The chimney drafts really well. Probably seems like an obvious thing to you folks, but lately I just seem to be really prone to either over-thinking or completely overlooking things. Sanity checks are pretty common for me.

I am of a fan of.. "gee I would feel better if I made that a little stronger/stiffer/tighter..."

If for a moment or two you contemplated the idea of a brace.. it needs a brace. My brain goes in circles if I don't do whatever it was that got it started..

Reactions: pen
I am of a fan of.. "gee I would feel better if I made that a little stronger/stiffer/tighter..."

If for a moment or two you contemplated the idea of a brace.. it needs a brace. My brain goes in circles if I don't do whatever it was that got it started..
Lol. Pretty much describes me too - thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.