Well I know this is not right...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brock61

Dec 4, 2015
Athens, GA
Greetings all,
I'm a complete novice, so looking for some sage advice. My 2 big concerns are the connection to the stove and then to the chimney. I have a 6" adjustable adapter on the bottom connected to the stove with an adapter. My first thought was to the adapter at the top where it goes into the chimney, but couldn't persuade the adapter into the adjustable connector.
The second concern is at the top. The store I visited had a coupling sleeve that I'm thinking I should have purchased to connect to the chimney.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Well I know this is not right...
    DSC01916.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 489
    DSC01917.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 502
    DSC01918.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 497
    DSC01919.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 448
Agreed, this doesn't look correct. The stove pipe needs to match the chimney pipe brand. The chimney support box is unfamiliar. Do you know what type of chimney is installed?

Agreed, this doesn't look correct. The stove pipe needs to match the chimney pipe brand. The chimney support box is unfamiliar. Do you know what type of chimney is installed?
I don't. The old stove was gone when we purchased the house. I just had a chimney sweep clean out the pipe-all ok.

That's an old amerivent chimney. You either need to trim that adaptor down a bit and/or crimp it. I often have to do both. I'm not sure what that piece is at the stovetop, it's not correct though. That looks like Dura-Vent pipe that's upside down. The label should have a direction on it.

Is that a combustible wall behind the stove? If so, do you know what the rear clearance is for your stove? It looks pretty close to the wall to me. Also, is that an electrical outlet right behind the stove? Again, I would check on the clearance requirements. You definitely don't want to overheat an outlet since you could end up looking at an electrical fire inside the wall.

I'd bet your clearances are fine, but like was mentioned, it should have 16" of hearth out front. Steel stoves with built in heat shields can be very close to the wall. Some as close as 4.5"!

Is that a single wall adapter going into double wall stove pipe?

It looks like the stove adapter was designed for single wall pipe but the pipe appears to be double wall. My double wall adapter on my stove has a piece that goes inside the outlet collar of the stove and the outer wall goes on the outside... Making it the same diameter of the actual stove pipe.

Looks to be the same situation at the ceiling...

I could be wrong here... But that's what I'm seeing.

Thank you all for your input thus far! From the feedback I've gathered this-the hearth pad is too small. I believe I will build a concrete pad with tile to decorate the top. This should be more protection that the one I purchased. Yes, the main pipe is a Duravent and it is upside down. My clearances should be fine with double wall as I have 9" and the stove recommendations are 8 or less with double wall. I believe the last piece that is way off is the connectors. Both connectors are single wall and I will head over to the only place in the area that even carries double wall pipe.
Webby-what did you mean by crimping? Was it closing the gap by allowing the single wall piece into the Duravent pipe? Is that pipe part of the chimney or is it just an coupling between stovepipe and chimney?
Thanks once again for all the feedback!

One other question. I do have an electrical outlet directly behind the stove. Anyone else have this and is there concern. In thinking through, I should remove the outlet, but just capping off the connection still has risk?

The outlet may be fine if the clearances for the stove are correct.
I personally would probably remove it.
Even with proper clearances, the wall behind the stove can get very hot with some stoves. So hot, you would think too hot.
If it were me I would remove the receptical, cap the wires and push the wires as far back as you can in the box, and cover with solid metal outlet cover.

If you are honoring the clearances required by the stove the outlet will be fine

Reactions: Highbeam
There is no reason to move the outlet. None at all..
Why is your pipe upside down? It looks like you have a single wall chimney adaptor in the stove top. That's not the correct piece, it intended to adapt a duravent ceiling box to the stovepipe. You need a DVL stove top adaptor. The single wall piece that is sticking out of the ceiling box is your chimney adaptor. It often needs trimmed down a bit so the double wall pipe will cover it. Sometimes it needs crimped with a crimping tool. Your double wall needs to slip over that adaptor.

"I" would move it because ive had and witnessed stoves with proper clearances where the wall got so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it. This stove "appears" to be at or close to the minimum clearances.
That said. If someone uses that outlet and has electric cords sticking out of it, the cords could be compromised by the heat.
Also, "I" dont like recepticles/wiring being exposed to intense heat for long periods of time.
Can jeopardize the wire insulation and make the recepticle brittle.

Yup... Head back to the store or get online and order a double wall DVL stove adapter and chimney adapter. Duravent makes both pieces in double wall which is what you need. Then flip your main pipe around and it should fit much better.

As far as your concern about the outlet... If you are worried about it, once you get everything properly setup, check the wall temperature during a hot burn. I have outlets behind my stove which works great for me since my stove has a blower built in. Keep in mind 100-120+ wall temp won't cause any issues... There are plenty of places around the globe that see natural ambient temperatures in this range.

Yup... Head back to the store or get online and order a double wall DVL stove adapter and chimney adapter. Duravent makes both pieces in double wall which is what you need. Then flip your main pipe around and it should fit much better.

As far as your concern about the outlet... If you are worried about it, once you get everything properly setup, check the wall temperature during a hot burn. I have outlets behind my stove which works great for me since my stove has a blower built in. Keep in mind 100-120+ wall temp won't cause any issues... There are plenty of places around the globe that see natural ambient temperatures in this range.
He won't need a chimney adaptor, he's got one already. It'll work with that DVL, in fact there is no other option. The chimney adaptor is specific to the chimney and is a universal fit to the connector pipe.

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
He won't need a chimney adaptor, he's got one already. It'll work with that DVL, in fact there is no other option. The chimney adaptor is specific to the chimney and is a universal fit to the connector pipe.

I was under the impression that it was a duravent chimney aswell which they make a double wall version (or so I thought..). It's been a year since I installed mine so I can't remember. If that's not the case, sorry for the false information.

Edit- Duravent does indeed make a DVL specific chimney adapter... However if the chimney isn't duravent... Won't work.

I was under the impression that it was a duravent chimney aswell which they make a double wall version (or so I thought..). It's been a year since I installed mine so I can't remember. If that's not the case, sorry for the false information.

Edit- Duravent does indeed make a DVL specific chimney adapter... However if the chimney isn't duravent... Won't work.
Looks like amerivent to me.

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
What stove is this?

The stove is a Pleasant Hearth, not sure of the model.
The reason I ask is to verify clearances. The Pleasant Hearth medium stove needs at least 14" from the back of the stove to the wall.

Looks like amerivent to me.

could also be white metal or old dura, if all we can go off is the support box.

i've had luck using the simpson chimney adapters on different brands of class A pipe...

op, a simpson dvl stove adapter, and chimney adapter should get you sorted out...

could also be white metal or old dura, if all we can go off is the support box.

i've had luck using the simpson chimney adapters on different brands of class A pipe...

op, a simpson dvl stove adapter, and chimney adapter should get you sorted out...
On This particular chimney the stovepipe adaptor is an integral part of the system. The chimney is sitting on the adaptor. He won't need an adaptor at the ceiling box. It's in place already.

Status
Not open for further replies.