Well, it's starting to happen around here too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
The leaves are starting to change and it's starting to get colder at night. So, the cord wood piles are starting to stack up at people's houses and they are getting busy cutting this year's wood supply. :roll: The people that do have their wood already split usually leave it in a big heap and throw a blue tarp over it as soon as possible. I'm thinking about printing up some Hearth.com flyers and sticking them in people's mailboxes!

As for myself, I went up the other day and threw a few pieces of metal roofing/siding over the oldest piles that I have. These will be the first ones going into the basement. The rest of my wood will sit outside of my house and when the snow begins to fly I will stretch a tarp across the top to keep snow off the piles, but I will leave the sides partially open all winter to get some added air flow. With the exception of the first couple piles, all the my wood is a greyish color and has checks all over the ends. The first couple piles were white ash that I cut in May/June, so I'm not worried about those either! Most of my stuff was dropped last winter and then bucked, split, and stacked in May. I don't think I started last year until this time either! Hearth.com really has provided me with a wealth of knowledge in wood burning!

I need one of those flyers.
I'm not feeling well so I had some wood delivered, dumped at the back door where it won't get stacked, and I imediately threw a blue tarp over it.
Is this wrong?

Not if it's seasoned wood. The stuff around here getting blue tarps over is green wood. Freshly cut and freshly split before getting tarped.

Greg123 said:
Around my area 50% heap in a huge pile and cover , and 50% stack and season properly.

There is another segment that heap, leave uncovered and season properly. It just doesn't happen the September before they intend to burn it.

I would say we have maybe 20% of the wood burning population that actually split, stack, and let properly season. 40% leave in a heap and 40% have cord wood sitting next to their house right now.

My grandpa's system used to always be cut and split in the spring, leave it in a heap until the fall, and then throw it into an empty silo. Then the following year he would take the stuff out of the silo in the summer/fall and bring it to his house. Seems like a great way to have at least a years supply of dry wood, I just wish I had the room to do that!

The chainsaws are firing up around here with everybody getting their wood ready for this winter. Including my neighbor's kid cutting. I was down in the woods making 45 rounds out of a big red oak Saturday and the kid dropped by.

"Getting ready for this winter mister B.?"

"No, the winter of 2012/2013."

"Huh?"

BrotherBart said:
The chainsaws are firing up around here with everybody getting their wood ready for this winter. Including my neighbor's kid cutting. I was down in the woods making 45 rounds out of a big red oak Saturday and the kid dropped by.

"Huh?"

You're from the future, man! The fuuuuuuuuture! :gulp:

ikessky said:
I would say we have maybe 20% of the wood burning population that actually split, stack, and let properly season. 40% leave in a heap and 40% have cord wood sitting next to their house right now.

My grandpa's system used to always be cut and split in the spring, leave it in a heap until the fall, and then throw it into an empty silo. Then the following year he would take the stuff out of the silo in the summer/fall and bring it to his house. Seems like a great way to have at least a years supply of dry wood, I just wish I had the room to do that!
Silo isn't a dry place. They're designed to hold moisture in, no ventilation. Silage needs to stay moist to be any good. Maybe it was an empty corn crib?

Could have been a corn crib. I'll have to run out and look at it again some night. It was maybe 12-15 feet high, round in shape, with a metal roof and metal siding. It has open soffets, so it definitely wasn't holding any moisture in.

i was just looking at an old metal roofed round corn crib. heavy wire side. about a 16 inch opening in the center of the roof . it was about 12 ft to the roof line and about 10 ft wide. i thought with a few modes it would make a great wood shed.

BrotherBart said:

"Huh?"

Will you put me in your "WOOD WILL" if you don't make it that far??? :)

I wish I could get a picture of the huge pile of wood being sold at a garden shop. It must be 40 cords of "Fresh Cut" wood being sold as "Seasoned" wood. The splits are very white with absolutely no coloring to them. This pile showed up a few weeks ago. Not sure if any true wood burners would buy from them, more likely the casual fireplace burners will buy there.

I also pass a house on my street where the guy sells wood in bundles (2'x2' bundle) for 10 bucks. Every once in a while I see people buying a bundle. I don't understand why, most people in this area have 3 to 6 acres of wooded land...

ikessky said:
Could have been a corn crib. I'll have to run out and look at it again some night. It was maybe 12-15 feet high, round in shape, with a metal roof and metal siding. It has open soffets, so it definitely wasn't holding any moisture in.
Yes, I'm betting it was a corn crib. Corn cribs would make good woodsheds. Many people's pictures of woodsheds remind me of the old wooden cribs. The ones here are always (hopefully, cross your fingers) filled with corn.

quads, you beat me to it. And I agree is no doubt was not a silo. (Hey, I've heard people refer to silos as chimneys!)

We have a neighbor who used to store quite a bit of firewood in one of the round wire corn cribs. It worked okay but was a bear getting the wood out.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, you beat me to it. And I agree is no doubt was not a silo. (Hey, I've heard people refer to silos as chimneys!)

We have a neighbor who used to store quite a bit of firewood in one of the round wire corn cribs. It worked okay but was a bear getting the wood out.

Thats funny I have an uncle that keeps his bear's in corn cribs's

Maybe it was a grain bin.
I used our 12' diameter grain bin for a brooder for 500 meat chicks at a time.
Sold it to a guy for firewood storage.

yanksforever said:
BrotherBart said:

"Huh?"

My wife actually has instructions for selling the wood if I grab my chest and fall over. I told her that there is no way in hell I want somebody walking off with it for free. Since it is probably what will kill me in the first place. :mad:

"For Sale. Three year seasoned oak custom cut by that gabby old fart from hearth.com. Cost, $1,000 a cord in labor. Selling for $200 a cord. $10 a cord for hearth.com members with over 20 posts that never asked 'What is this 30 year old stove worth?'"

BrotherBart said:
yanksforever said:
BrotherBart said:

"Huh?"

My wife actually has instructions for selling the wood if I grab my chest and fall over. I told her that there is no way in hell I want somebody walking off with it for free. Since it is probably what will kill me in the first place. :mad:

"For Sale. Three year seasoned oak custom cut by that gabby old fart from hearth.com. Cost, $1,000 a cord in labor. Selling for $200 a cord. $10 a cord for hearth.com members with over 20 posts that never asked 'What is this 30 year old stove worth?'"
Ha ha ha! Nice! That's actually a pretty good idea!

Backwoods Savage said:

Yup, the older wooden rectangular cribs would work better.

Well, for heaven's sakes, let's just make sure that whatever we do around here we get our damned agricultural outbuilding terminology straight. %-P Rick

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yup, the older wooden rectangular cribs would work better.

I have a rectangular crib available if anyone nearby is interested. NO shipping.

yanksforever said:
BrotherBart said:

"Huh?"

As long as you're at it could you could put me on the saw list please ;)

Tony H said:
yanksforever said:
BrotherBart said:

"Huh?"

As long as you're at it could you could put me on the saw list please ;)

He uses an old poulan or wild thing. He has also had it some time. With the amount of cutting he does that 18 inch bar has to be worn down to say 10 inchs :p

burntime said:
He uses an old poulan or wild thing. He has also had it some time. With the amount of cutting he does that 18 inch bar has to be worn down to say 10 inchs :p

It's still hanging in there.

Attachments

• old yaller.jpg
    old yaller.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 242
Status
Not open for further replies.