Well, that's that!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Had a fire on Monday - just to take the chill off. Almost 80 today and should be 70 or above for a while. I'm cleaning out the stove tomorrow and shutting down for the season. Leaving for a couple months for work next week, so not around to burn a fire even if I wanted to. Ended up with about 7 months of burning. Was checking out next years wood stacks today - the wood will be premo for next winter - 2.5 year seasoned ash, oak, cherry, yellow and black birch, and a little red maple and white birch. The oak is nicely seasoned already - looking forward to next year's burning - should be a joy to run the stove. Have a great summer everybody! Cheers!

Enjoy your summer. We are down for the count here too. 85 degrees at eight thirty at night.

Oh sure, rub it in. 45 now, low of 41 tonight. Tomorrow 56 and low of 48. Still burning here - ugh!

Sorry Shari - that's rough - you'll be done soon! Need to get the tarp off the central AC tomorrow BK - 75 in the house now doesn't feel quite so nice as it did in December! To you as well BB! Cheers!

I'm in the 30°F's overnight and maybe busting 60°F daytime high. Still running a bit below normal...should be seeing pretty consistent 70°F's about now. Still burning some in the shop stove. Letting the electric furnace keep the house from freezing. Looking forward to warmer temps. Soon, I hope. Rick

Shari said:
Oh sure, rub it in. 45 now, low of 41 tonight. Tomorrow 56 and low of 48. Still burning here - ugh!

Crap, doesn't sound a lot difference from us. We are still setting record low, high temps, day by day. This is a chilly spring and the plants are not happy. The heat pump has been earning its keep.

ACs are goin in at our place now too. All it takes for me is ONE 80 degree muggy day and I start getting cranky. I think Central NY is out of the woods for this season. 4 months or so and we start it up again!

Franks said:
ACs are goin in at our place now too. All it takes for me is ONE 80 degree muggy day and I start getting cranky. I think Central NY is out of the woods for this season. 4 months or so and we start it up again!
X100
I had my portable AC running in the office here yesterday. I had sweat running & dripping off my entire body while I was getting it set up and running the exhaust & drain hoses to the window. Dayum early for this stuff, but I cannot stand sweating like this, especially when its so damn thick out.
I love AC!!!!!!!!

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of Fairbanks. Central Alaska reporting in with hin the 80's, lows in the 50's. We melt at these temps. Flower baskets going out this weekend, last-frost dates not withstanding. Could have put the baskets out a week ago, just wanted to get the gutters cleaned out first. Maybe climb up on the roof this a.m. and poke a flashlight down the chimney--time to get on that chore, and get on with the wood.

Four cords of birch to the good already (I'm planning on three cords a winter of birch, with a couple of cords of well-seasoned poplar or spruce to fill in around the edges.) I have another cord of birch split and stacked for 12-13, with nine more coming (I bought.) I calculate I'll have my birch in for the next five winters, and the kids and I have plenty of standing/laying dead spruce and poplar we just need to cut up and carry to the house. It's going to be a busy summer, but after that, I can throttle back and be a lot more dispassionate about fuel prices.

Haven't had a fire since earlier this week . . . after I spent several hours doing a top to bottom cleaning only to realize it was still cold. I'm crossing my fingers, but I think I'm done burning for this season . . . although my wife did mention how we had a fire in the woodstove on July 3rd two years ago.

Got a fire going in the stove right now but suspect today may be the last day for a long time. Forecast looks pretty good at least. Now if we can just get the rain turned off it would be nice.

This has been the worst spring for farming for a long, long time. Some corn got in a couple weeks ago when we had a warm spell and that is up.....but lots of water standing so a lot will have to be replanted. There are no beans planted at all in this area. Last year at this time everything was in the ground and up. Most will be okay if they can get things done within the next 2 weeks but then we also have to hope for a good warm fall with a really late freeze. I just fear there will be more than one farmer go under this year because he won't be able to pay the bills. Truly sad.

Haven't burned in southern Mass in over 6 weeks now, just used the gas heating system to take the morning chills off. Stove is cleaned and in a few pieces, took out a side burn plate for replacement. Getting ready for a coat of paint and a sweep in a few weeks. Split and stacked 6.5 cords in late March, that will be the 2012-13 supply. All in all looking good here for the upcoming season.

Hope the stove sales are at least still good with this chilly reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.