Went to a Napoleon/VC dealer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
They wanted to sell the door to the woodstove as a $300 separate item. Um, is that normal?

They were also a VC dealer. When asked about warranty issues they stated that there never was a warranty issue, the company just won't honor any warranties from before they took over.

So, do any other companies not include doors on their stoves?

Matt

The door issue depends I guess. For some of my units my distributor breaks down pricing separate for doors, stove bodies, and other options. There may be a few door options with any particular stove. (Blaze King, Some Napoleon.)

I make it simple for my customers and quote one price for the complete. Some dealers don't. It's just different ways of doing things.

I suppose if the used the word "upgrade" it would have made more sense. :lol:

Matt

When we bought our Lopi Liberty, they offered three door finishes...black, brass, and pewter. Obviously the stove has to have a door, but before they could quote me a price for the whole stove, I had to say which door I wanted on it. Rick

EatenByLimestone said:
Did the offer a price without the door? I got one. :lol:

Matt

No, Matt...I think they realized I was smarter than that. :lol:

I was kinda thinking open front fireplace.... :)

I was interested in their small model with the cast iron surround. I didn't know that Napoleon offered such a critter. It didn't look bad! I asked how it was different than the PEs with the CI surround. He talked up the PE. Kudos to the salesman because not many would do that.

I liked how the sides of their stoves had integrated heat shields in an attractive design. They looked like a decent product, I was just a bit confused by the option package.

Matt

Knowing you I have a mental pic of you standing on the curb with that door in your hand saying "Anybody seen a stove around here?".

When I was buying my Napoleon 1100CP (the little cast-iron one), they did include the door in the price for that model only. I guess there was only one choice for that model? My BIS Ultima also had the door priced separately. Must be common. That it reduces the price that shows up in searches might have something to do with it also. Sometimes the feet or other required items are also itemized.

If I recall, at the same time I was buying the Napoleon some others on here were buying a different model and ran into a door shortage. They got the stove months before the door.

HArman sells coal stove bodies & doors separately.
As far as Regency, they sell everything "a la carte..."
You hafta choose a door, pedestal or legs, ash pan, blower, screen & air mate...
I suppose you could buy a stove with a screen (no door) & save a couple of big ones...

Most steel stoves I have sold always price the cost of the door seperatley to the dealer. I mark the stoves in the showroom including the price of the black door. I list the cost of the upgrade to a gold or nickle door as a seperate item on the tag.

Most steel stove brands are like that. Lopi used to ship all their stoves w/ a black door, but now they ship sans door. Some customers give me an incredulous look when I tell them the door is extra ( "how can you sell a stove w/ no door?). PE stoves ship w/ no door as well. But, when you have several options for a door, it makes sense not to ship them all w/ a black door. When Lopi used to do that, we'd have stacks of black doors out back from folks who wanted to upgrade to brass. Then there was always the question "how much do I get to sell you back the black door that came w/ it?". So a stove w/ out a door sounds silly to the consumer, but It makes sense when you consider all the options you can have for a door nowadays.
Another thing most don't consider is the base. Many offer legs, or pedestal, and the legs are avail in several finishes. This is always an "extra" when you buy many types of steel stoves as well.

Well, my car will run okay without a door, so why not your stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.