1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Went to go get a bag of pellets from the garage and this is what I see....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bdaoust, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    If Mr Spock is doing his job, he would chase him off double time. Our dogs used to patrol the tree lines barking when bears were close. The barking usually scares them off. My first dog, when we moved to the lake, warned me of a bear nearby with his barking. When Mom was near his kids, he took off after it and chased it away. Only then did I realize why he was going crazy with the barking. He was a shepherd/springer spaniel mix.

When I was talking with my neighbor before we got the new dog (2 weeks ago), he recommended we get another big dog as they keep most of the critters at a respectful distance. Had a wolf and fox in the yard this winter besides the deer...
    save$ likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Not all of them - had one bear on my deck. Opened the door and let the air horn rip, turned and growled at me. He won, slammed the door and locked it:eek:
  3. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    can't have any if I listen to the doctor and the warnings on the medication bottles. However, last summer while camping, I did sneak one can on a hot and humid day. Got it at the camp store while the wife was back on the camp site! Just wish I could have had a hot dog with it.<>
  4. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    My dogs were fantastic at keeping critters out of my yard. The hardest worker was the female we lost two weeks ago. We went right out and bought another female lab. Just the best dogs we have ever had in our family.
  5. Rob Kav

Rob Kav New Member

I was bow hunting in PA and had a close encounter with a sow and two cubs.As it happens the cubs winded me and came under my tree stand to investigate.The sow froze and the cubs were playing around under me and the sow was getting agitated.They all ran off after a bit and the cubs followed.They had my undivided attention.The next year I took a buddy there too hunt and knowing the story he was very worried about that happening to him.I took him there to scout around and told him I would take a 22 rifle along in case of bear trouble.He laughed and said you are never going to stop a bear with a 22.I told him I have no intention of using the gun on the bear when it would be much easier to shoot him in the kneecap and walk Quickly back to the truck and await developments.I have not seen old Steevo in years .True story.
  6. DneprDave

DneprDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WA
    We had a bear walk through the yard, but it was moving right along, I think it had an appointment somewhere.

Dave
    Defiant likes this.
  7. ChandlerR

ChandlerR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    We have camped at Mohawk Trail State Park a bunch of times. Heard lots about the bears but it wasn't until I almost stepped in a *steaming* pile of bear poo a couple of feet from the motorhome did I take the stories seriously! Lot's of bear in that neck of the woods!
  8. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Since the girl to the left became part of the family I don't see the critters around much. Never had bears around my parts but my guess is she would tell it where to go. It amazes me how gentle she is with friends and family unless your not.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Well last spring a lady in Standish dispatched a bear with a 22 . The take home from this is if you hit it in the right spot a 22 is all you need.
    Defiant, Eatonpcat and DexterDay like this.
  10. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Sorry about your old girl - they do become a big part of the family. Our lab, Sam, had to go out in the boat with his boy, our oldest son. If he got left behind, he would swim after him - had to pull him out of the drink a couple of times;lol He was pretty good at keeping the bears away too.
  11. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Sorry, she must be Ms. Spock;lol
  12. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Had this one in my driveway, figured I would give her a drink!!

249814_1391895854224_1736998760_642167_4903164_n[1].jpg
    Brokenwing, will711 and Defiant like this.
  13. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio

Tread lightly Nate...There may be more piss water drinkers than you care to offend around here!!;)
    will711 and smoke show like this.
  14. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Member

Loc:
    Cromwell, Connecticut
    A Bear thread that has turned into a Beer thread!;lol
  15. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Are you offering to mark the spot on a bear in my yard so I know where to shoot it? ;lol

Then I have to make sure I don't shoot the wrong Bear….!
    Defiant likes this.
  16. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Smokey is the one with the hat on and and stout in his paw:cool:
  17. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Okay, I wouldn't want to spill the BEER!
  18. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I don't think CT allows you to play with guns you need a certificate to purchase ammunition now.
  19. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I Wonder if he shi+s in the woods.
    Brokenwing, jtakeman and will711 like this.
  20. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    That's not even funny. I can't find pellets and now I can't get ammo either! <>
    heat seeker likes this.
  21. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Doesn't matter, around here you don't need a certificate, but the stores don't have any ammo...And if by chance they do have what you're looking for, they have limits on how much you can buy!
  22. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Have to have a possession license here to get ammo. I have no intention of hunting but had to take the boys for the course so figured I might as well get licensed too. The deal at our house is if you kill it you clean it, dibs out:p When my son went "hunting" with the car, he wasn't impressed with the deal. I wasn't impressed with my car:mad: "Road kill" stew was good;lol
  23. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You need to look for something other than popular stuff. Sometimes it pays to not follow the crowd.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  24. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Well stay away from the popular stuff and you won't have much trouble.
  25. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    380, 9 and 22 LR.... If I do find them, they cost a lot...But I buy as much as they allow!