went to the saw shop tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prollynotjeff

Jan 23, 2011
twin tiers ny
I have been keeping an eye out for a clean used 2nd saw for awhile. Well I havent found one and its getting close to xmas so I stopped over to my local stihl dealer. I currently have a 362 with a 20inch bar. I cant decide if I should get a smaller saw as a back up or a larger saw. I only cut firewood 10-14 cord a year. I was checking out a farmboss with a 16inch bar for 350 and a 441 with a 28inch bar for 750. If i get the 441 I would put a 16 on my 362. Does the farm boss work good with a 16inch bar? The dealer said he could set it up with the same size chain as my 362

In my opinion, that's a lot of wood. Not nearly the 30 or 400 cord a lot of guys do to keep up with their commercial needs, but it's more than the average homeowner. I'm currently the average homeowner, using a borrowed Husky 035 16" to get through 2-3 cord of oak, sometimes 20"+ diameter, and I'm looking at what saw I should get for my first real saw. Most people who step up from a 16" ~40cc homeowner saw to a ~20" ~60cc saw say things like "I can't believe how much faster I could get the work done. I thought it was going to be harder carrying a heavier saw, but it was actually easier because it does more work faster" While I'm still on the fence for my own purchase, I would venture a guess that you wouldn't have much use for a smaller saw, so go bigger and make the 362 your backup. Of course it's easy for me to say since it's not my $750 haha

Status
Not open for further replies.