Wet or punky, Moisture Meter Question? And id.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
So mid summer I cut down a 20" standing dead tree. No bark and all but the largest limbs were gone. The main trunk seemed sold as in I was getting a chip not powder from the saw and it had some stringyness to the splits. The growth rings are wavy so I am assuming elm, couldn't split it with a hydraulic assist.

Two questions:
Does everyone concur on elm, we don't have much around here that isn't red elm so I am not sure what this is?

Will dry punky wood read high MC? I held a fresh split room temp piece to my cheek as double check and it was warm. I also did the burn test on a campfire and had no hissing. Just curious why I am getting mid to upper 30% readings.
20201224_081207.jpg

Not a surprise to have those readings in splits from the trunk in my experience with dead Elm and others. You just cut it a few months ago? Replace your batts in the meter. Just as a confirmation. Mine gets wacky when the batts get weak. I don't know what you have for wood there.

Reactions: mrd1995
Not a surprise to have those readings in splits from the trunk in my experience with dead Elm and others. You just cut it a few months ago? Replace your batts in the meter. Just as a confirmation. Mine gets wacky when the batts get weak. I don't know what you have for wood there.
Yeah probably Julie or August was Cut and split. Wonder if the split I checked today was from low down the trunk? Might be moisture that had wicked up the trunk.

Reactions: moresnow
Yeah probably Julie or August was Cut and split. Wonder if the split I checked today was from low down the trunk? Might be moisture that had wicked up the trunk.
I cut a 75 footer that I had watched in the backyard for about 5 years recently. Dead that entire time. Still read O.L. out of limit on my meter for most of the main trunk. I know that was Elm. Another smaller Elm read the same and was still to wet this year after sitting a year.
I tried a armload of the second Elm batch for a experiment not long ago. Noooo good. It wouldn't hardly get going. I had to keep lots of primary air to it for the entire burn. It never sizzled one bit. Just not as ready as I am used to. Amazing.