Wet Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enviro1700

So the wood i ordered is summer finally arrived and its unseasoned surprise surprise. Luckilly i have over a cord of overly seasoned hardwood that i can use for the time being. To make maters worse, its rained lastnight all over the wood and its raining now all over it. Now i can get away it seems without any heat source(minus solar through the windows and normal household heat ie stove etc) and my house has been 20-22 daily. But eventually i will need to use this wood. Anybody have any sugesstions on drying it for around Dec? I have heard storing it indoors with a de-humidifier works. Anyone have experiences with that? Should i bite the bullet, order more, burn recreationally this year and have next years wood curing now?

Look harder for truly seasoned wood. It is around you need to find it. Go to the lots they store the wood and pick your own, before it goes on the truck.

If this is the best source you can find, get next year's now so it is ready for next year.

Enviro1700 said:
So the wood i ordered is summer finally arrived and its unseasoned surprise surprise. Luckilly i have over a cord of overly seasoned hardwood that i can use for the time being. To make maters worse, its rained lastnight all over the wood and its raining now all over it. Now i can get away it seems without any heat source(minus solar through the windows and normal household heat ie stove etc) and my house has been 20-22 daily. But eventually i will need to use this wood. Anybody have any sugesstions on drying it for around Dec? I have heard storing it indoors with a de-humidifier works. Anyone have experiences with that? Should i bite the bullet, order more, burn recreationally this year and have next years wood curing now?

Yes, there is no surprise there on the fresh wood. Depending on the size of the splits, you could split it smaller and that will help some. Trying to use a de-humidifier just does not work. You'd have better luck just stacking wood next to the stove for a couple weeks.

If it were me, I'd split it small and stack it where it can get any sunlight and any wind hitting the side of the pile. Do not stack it tightly but stack it loosely so the air will flow through the pile. Where you are, I'd also cover the top of the pile but do not cover the sides or ends for sure. Put some poles or beams or 4 x 4's under the pile so the wood is off the ground. Lots of folks simply use pallets to stack wood on.

Speaking of pallets, you could break down some of those to mix in with the partially seasoned wood to get you though. Also, do buy next year's wood this year. Doing that can't be beat unless you buy for 2 years ahead. There will be a huge difference in the amount of heat you get from good dry wood vs. unseasoned wood.

Good luck to you.

By the way, what is, "overly seasoned hardwood?" We are burning 7 year old hardwood right now. Is that overly seasoned? Not! It's nice!

Best bet . . . split smaller, stack loose with full exposure in the sun and wind . . . as mentioned using pallets to help bring the stove up to temp and drive the excess moisture out can also help you muddle by this winter . . . and definitely consider buying next year's wood supply right now.

gzecc said:
Look harder for truly seasoned wood. It is around you need to find it. Go to the lots they store the wood and pick your own, before it goes on the truck.

I agree with gzecc. Mix some lumber or pallets or dry pine if you have to which will buy you some time to do what gzecc is recommending.
Sorry for the repeat folks but it appears Enviro was out that day.

Rule #1. No wet wood in the Temple
Rule #2. Do not forget Rule #1

I'd think about a softwood plan for this years seasons much quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.