WETT and Required Distances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZitRemedy

Feb 29, 2016
Canada
I am in the middle of installing a woodstove in a garage in Canada. I am getting it WETT inspected and am following all guidelines and rules required for my installation. According to the directions (Supervent) I have to be:

1. At least 3 Feet above roof penetration (no worries, there)
2. 2 feet above anything within 10 feet.

My roof is 8/12 and my ridge is about 9 feet away from my chimney horizontally. According to the manual this calls for 96" of chimney from my roof penetration on the short side. A couple of my neighbors disagree and said there is no need for that much chimney. It seems like it would be quite a bit sticking above my roof but I'm pretty sure I'm interpreting this correctly.

So it looks like I need to be 8 feet above the roof penetration on the short side of the chimney. Can the cap be included in this height?

Thanks

I’d be curious if WETT standards allow for woodstove in garages.

It certainly does…well in Canada anyway. The bottom of door opening has to be 18” from floor to protect against fuel vapors etc. I then need bollards in place in front of stove to protect against a vehicle driving into the stove.

Everything else is installed following WETT standards.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick