wett installation guidelines in Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fph9999

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2010
bc
Hi, I have a question regarding passing Wett installation requirements for Canada.
I have a raised hearth byeond 3.5". The installation requirement states:

Thermal fl oor protection is not required if the unit is
raised 3.5" minimum (measured from the bottom of
the stove). However, standard ember fl oor protection
is required. It will need to be a non-combustible
material that covers 16" (406 mm) in the US and
18" (450 mm) in Canada to the front of the unit and
8" (200 mm) to the sides.

Does this standard ember floor protection needs to be permanently installed to the floor or can it be removable when not in use. I didn't want to destry my hardwood flooring.

If there are Wett inspectors out there who can adivse, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not a Wett inspector (however would like to become one), however, I think that you could remove it. They make hearth rugs etc which are removable...

I am sure a certified Wett inspector will speak up soon enough,

It's not cold enough yet in BC for a wood fire! ;)

ANdrew

It can be removable, though they may require it to be held captive while in place (screws). I don't consider a hearth rug ember protection and would personally never rely on one for this purpose. There are hearth extension pads that are made for this purpose.

fph said:
Hi, I have a question regarding passing Wett installation requirements for Canada.
snip
Does this standard ember floor protection needs to be permanently installed to the floor or can it be removable when not in use. I didn't want to destry my hardwood flooring.

If there are Wett inspectors out there who can adivse, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a WETT inspector, but when I had my stove installed by a WETT installer, he put down a tile hearth pad (http://www.fireplaceandleisurecentre.ca/Gallery/products/ByTheFire/ByTheFire10.htm) and it just sits on the floor. So could be removed if one was inclined to do so.
It was inspected by: the same guy who installed (WETT certified, but came out and inspected again?), local fire official, and my insurance agent. All were satisfied with the floor protection.

Yeah a non-combustible hearth pad like tile will do it. If you want one of those hearth rugs with holes burned in it I will see if I can get my cat in the garage to give up her bed.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah a non-combustible hearth pad like tile will do it. If you want one of those hearth rugs with holes burned in it I will see if I can get my cat in the garage to give up her bed.
Ha ha. I meant to say hearth PAD and not rug!! poor choice of words on my behalf!

Andrew

colin.p said:
fph said:
snip

I'm not a WETT inspector, but when I had my stove installed by a WETT installer, he put down a tile hearth pad (http://www.fireplaceandleisurecentre.ca/Gallery/products/ByTheFire/ByTheFire10.htm) and it just sits on the floor. So could be removed if one was inclined to do so.
It was inspected by: the same guy who installed (WETT certified, but came out and inspected again?), local fire official, and my insurance agent. All were satisfied with the floor protection.

I have been using one of these portable tile pads for the last 10 years. Works great and goes into storage in the off season.

Attachments

• Timber Ridge  30 N-C 005 (Custom).jpg
    Timber Ridge 30 N-C 005 (Custom).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 786
+1 on all Hearth Pads comment. It think the requirement is an R factor of 2. If you buy a commercially available one this is already factored in. They wont look out of place on your hardwood floor.

You'll also find it a pain to remove every year. Shop around and you'll see something you like.

Go here to find a WETT Certified inspector. http://www.wettinc.ca/search.html

Status
Not open for further replies.