What’s the Score?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
I scored some great red oak on Facebook for FREE. Went out today and fired up my Husky and man did it do well!! Sliced through a big log and we split it all and filled three pickup trucks worth, and there is still plenty left to get!!!

037F76EF-F31A-4EF7-A705-6CB671A91B4C.jpeg

Nice, free woot! 👍 But your dog chewed through that?? How did you fire him up, drip bacon grease on those trunks? 😉
I have to say, those rounds look extremely heavy to an old goat like myself! 😳

Reactions: Investmentdude
Yup very heavy, that's why they split it on site. I do the same thing. Nice score there.
RIght. Looks like he's prying one apart with a spud bar or something. That's a good tool to have.
I've had scores where I didn't want to tear up the lawn so I've sometimes rolled big rounds directly onto the trailer with a peavey up a 2x10 board. The trailer is low, so I've also tipped them against the back of the trailer, then flipped them up and in either by hand or with the peavey. Helps to have a helper, of course. And you'd better, for monsters like that! 😲

Last edited:
Reactions: Investmentdude
Excellent score!

You are making feel like Im wasting opportunity. I can literally drive 1 mile in any direction right now and pickup many cords of wood along the road. Downed trees, power line maintenance has contributed a good bit to that.
But that's a ton of work, and risk. Gotta take alot of my free time to do that, load it up, bring it back, split it.

I get cords for $200 bucks. Now if I see OAK......that's a different story. Im always stopping for oak.

I wonder what it takes someone in time to gather, haul back, and split one cord of wood found or given away?

We took half a day for that. To me it’s equally the amount of wood AND the experience. I want my time sometimes to be out with a chainsaw in the woods, cutting rounds and chopping wood. It’s good stuff

We took half a day for that. To me it’s equally the amount of wood AND the experience. I want my time sometimes to be out with a chainsaw in the woods, cutting rounds and chopping wood. It’s good stuff
Yup it can take a bit of time depending on a few factors. I have been scrounging of late due to all the downed trees from the last storm. I posted on Nextdoor and received a lot of replies of free wood for the taking. Picked up hard maple and red oak, two trailer loads in about 4 hours. The oak was already cut and the maple I cut up and loved every minute. I love free firewood, it’s like a disease somewhat as I am always eyeing anything on the side the road, downed trees in people’s yards (note look to see if they have a chimney or not and whether it’s been used, if not a knock on the door can get one free wood). I can do this all day long and now have 3 cords+ in a half day of work.