What a difference a year makes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Just thought I'd share a bit of experience for some of the newbies. After a while last year I was asking the question when was enough wood too much. Well I think things like this puts things into perspective: The way the scrounging was going last year, I figure I'd be able to sell off some "extra" that I had gotten last year. But this years scrounging from both craigslist and my tree service guy should be considered a drought. From the first of the year to now, I think I've only had three hits. I'm just glad I hauled in everything I did from last year when the supply was there. Which I'm at least 4 years ahead, so I'm not hurting. I'm just so shocked that from one year to the next the postings on Craigslist has all but dried up and so has my treeservice (I'm thinking he might be going into selling it since I saw a posting last year on the service side with firewood for sale) source. So with the many sayings it stands to be true once again: "Get while the Gettings good"

Reactions: Realstone
Yep, or as the farmers here say..."may hay while the sun shines".

If you have the time and space to store it never turn down a chance to pick up some firewood. It's been a slow season here too but with the heat we currently have I don't mind the break!

Reactions: fireview2788
I'll have to keep that in mind. There is Two standing dead oaks just around the corner from my house. I keep wanting to go knock on th door and ask if they want them down. The thing slowing me down is the two semi loads of green oak I have in my yard that still need processed.

I hear you. I always get asked if I have enough wood yet. You have to get it when it's there I tell them.

When my tree guy calls he always thinks I'll turn him down because of my stockpile of firewood. I take whatever is offered in the way of wood. Never know when the supply might dry up.

I've never REGRETTED accepting a scrounge, but I have KICKED myself for passing up free wood. Last Winter should have given lots of folks the opportunity to get ahead since most of us burned much less than wood usual.

I guess space is the only limiting factor, but I'm kind of like a wood Goldfish, my supply keeps growing to fit my bowl! :oops:

Just thought I'd share a bit of experience for some of the newbies. After a while last year I was asking the question when was enough wood too much. Well I think things like this puts things into perspective: The way the scrounging was going last year, I figure I'd be able to sell off some "extra" that I had gotten last year. But this years scrounging from both craigslist and my tree service guy should be considered a drought. From the first of the year to now, I think I've only had three hits. I'm just glad I hauled in everything I did from last year when the supply was there. Which I'm at least 4 years ahead, so I'm not hurting. I'm just so shocked that from one year to the next the postings on Craigslist has all but dried up and so has my treeservice (I'm thinking he might be going into selling it since I saw a posting last year on the service side with firewood for sale) source. So with the many sayings it stands to be true once again: "Get while the Gettings good"

Holy catfish! I went through Kansas a few weeks ago and the wind should have given lots of downed trees. That was awful and hot too.

I had a pretty good year. First full year.
I took about everything I could, if I could muster the time and strength to get.
Knowing I would have an off year coming up sometime.

I cant wait for the fall to get back at it. Maybe I can get 4 years ahead.

crazy::P

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.