What a difference dry wood makes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
Last year I almost exclusively burnt green wood because thats all I had. This year I have wood that has seasoned almost 9 months. Last year I was finding myself having to leave the air open much farther just to get the wood to burn. It was hard to start, wasn't putting out the heat I wanted and wouldn't last long.
This year, the wood fires instantly, burns very hot even with the air nearly closed and I get consistent 8 hour burns. So much easier. Its a Regency F2400.

Way to go. Kind of like getting a whole new stove isn't it?

This is my first year burning wood. I have about 7 cords of wild cherry that my grandfather cut 10 years ago. Boy is that stuff dry! The splits are harder than bricks.

Jags said:
Ahhh......the first part of the learning curve. You are doing well grasshoppaaa.
Jags,you are showing your age there. :lol:

budman said:
Jags said:
Ahhh......the first part of the learning curve. You are doing well grasshoppaaa.
Jags,you are showing your age there. :lol:

I was 4 when I watched it. ;-)

Last year I almost exclusively burnt green wood because thats all I had. This year I have wood that has seasoned almost 9 months. Last year I was finding myself having to leave the air open much farther just to get the wood to burn. It was hard to start, wasn’t putting out the heat I wanted and wouldn’t last long.

So what did the chimney look like when you cleaned it after that season. Was it chock full o Creosote? THis is what I fear most in life after reading this forum for several months.

"Cain you fool- you should have used the potholders", Master Po

Yup- dry wood is one of those things that people say is important and many start out thinking- "Ya, ya- I'm sure you're overstating it"... Kind of like sharpening your chain, or remembering aniversaries...

I had the same experience here a few years ago. Our first winter we burned pretty green oak, Dirty, lots of moisture. The next season we bought some really nice dry hardwood from a local farm. Night and day!

Also put too much unseasoned wood thru the stove last year. Not this year - I even have a moisture meter.

bcnu said:
Also put too much unseasoned wood thru the stove last year. Not this year - I even have a moisture meter.

Yep, even for this old wood burner -- a moisture meter is like a magic wand. Don`t know how I ever used to do with out that magic ;-P

We let most of our wood season for several years. Hard to beat that for seasoning! No creosote either. Lot's of easy heat too. Now excuse me, hunting season begins this week, then we'll be out there busy cutting firewood for year 2015.

Backwoods Savage said:
We let most of our wood season for several years. Hard to beat that for seasoning! No creosote either. Lot's of easy heat too. Now excuse me, hunting season begins this week, then we'll be out there busy cutting firewood for year 2015.

I will have 20 cords laid up when I finish splitting and stacking a couple more cords next week. Figure the Homestead is going to use 3 cords a year - so I'm out to around 2014 - but I'm always looking to scrounge more.

sonnyinbc said:
bcnu said:

Yep, even for this old wood burner -- a moisture meter is like a magic wand. Don`t know how I ever used to do with out that magic ;-P

Sonny, I thought the old timers just held a split up to their elbow, and could tell from there if it was ready to burn. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.