1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What a waste of hot air!!

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Snag, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Snag

Snag New Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Supposed to be the coldest night of the year and the propane clothes dryer is running and all that lovely moist, hot air is being pumped outside. You'd think amerkin injinuity would have found a way to solve the exhaust problem. I suppose it is still dangerous to vent gas/propane dryers indoors and no one has invented a dryer sheet that not only makes your clothes soft and smell like spring but also absorbs co2? (Would love to hang clothes up to dry but hubby is spoilt and likes his skivies and such fluffed ;-) Shudda gotten an electric dryer.

Carolyn

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Carolyn, with electric, you wouldn't like the bill.
    Take hubby's skivvies to the dryer for just a few minutes after hanging outside. Don't forget the dryer sheet. He'll never know.
    I prefer the smell of laundry off the line.
  3. Snag

Snag New Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    I know! That would be the most practical, compromising way to do it... but then there's my husband whose vocabulary does not include either of those words ;-) I just wanted the fluff and heat it too (grin)

Carolyn
  4. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    I have an electric dryer, any harm in venting it in the basement for the winter?
  5. Snag

Snag New Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Not that I'm aware of. We vented our electric dryer into our laundry room using a vent kit with a lint trap for that purpose.

Carolyn
  6. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    But you will get a lot of fine lint even with a trap!

Gary
  7. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    your only concern is lint/dust getting everywhere. There are heat exchanges, but I dont think thats a good idea.

We just have a few drying racks and hand the clothing on them in the winter. It takes no power and the humidity is well needed!
  8. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    I was just thinking about this. Right now the coldest spot in the house is right next to the dryer vent. I'd like some kind of heat exchanger, but I'd be afraid of any type of constriction that could cause a fire.
  9. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Magic heat for the drier :)
    I think there was a topic on this about 2 years ago...probably try a search for it
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I use the "dryer magic heat" for my electric dryer . . . but I'm also nearly religious in how often I check and clean the lint traps . . . well pretty much every week when I do the laundry. It does add some moisture into the room . . . which is not an issue due to the woodstove being in use.
  11. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    No issue except you will have tons of moisture in that room. Maybe some condensation on the windows...

Lint does not blow out...
  12. Snag

Snag New Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    We never had a huge lint issue. Yes, we got some, but then we get ash dust now so when you clean up one, you'll get the other. It's going to depend on what you're drying.

I saw a t-splitter that would allow you to switch from indoor to outdoor exhaust as needed which would allow you to control the lint and moisture.

Still wish we had an safe option for propane.....and if wishes were horses, beggers would ride ;-)

Carolyn
  13. DriveByWire

DriveByWire New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    You know, when I read your topic, I thought you were going to talk about the upcoming state of the union message.....:)
  14. Snag

Snag New Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    ROFLOL! You know, when I read your message, I thought, if we could harness all that hot air in DC, the whole country could go completely green.
  15. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    That hot air is extremely poisonous! Not for public consumption.
  16. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    You do laundry?
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Believe it or not yes . . . and I even shave in the winter time.

And truthfully . . . I tend to do more of the laundry . . . although my wife says I don't fold it "right" so she folds it after I've washed it.