What about the cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
Just joined the forum a few days ago. Have been lurking and learning from everyone for more than a year. Burned the entire season last year. Had a sweep come out last month. I was not home when he did it, but my wife said he never went on the roof and did all the work from the inside. He obviously didn't clean the cap. My chimney protrudes about 10ft. from a very steeply pitched roof. The cap would be very difficult to remove. Question: Would I be safe to only clean the cap every-other-year?

Just joined the forum a few days ago. Have been lurking and learning from everyone for more than a year. Burned the entire season last year. Had a sweep come out last month. I was not home when he did it, but my wife said he never went on the roof and did all the work from the inside. He obviously didn't clean the cap. My chimney protrudes about 10ft. from a very steeply pitched roof. The cap would be very difficult to remove. Question: Would I be safe to only clean the cap every-other-year?
That depends on how dirty it is and if it has a screen or not. And just because he cleaned from the ground doesn't mean he didn't get the cap clean. We use rotary cleaners that clean the cap pretty well from the bottom. Can you still see dirt on the cap?

Reactions: beatlefan
That depends on how dirty it is and if it has a screen or not. And just because he cleaned from the ground doesn't mean he didn't get the cap clean. We use rotary cleaners that clean the cap pretty well from the bottom. Can you still see dirt on the cap?
Thanks for the feedback. I have a clear view of it from the ground and it looks clean as a pin. It's reassuring to know that the cap can be cleaned from below. The sweep I used has a good reputation and came highly recommended. I just didn't get to talk to him the day he was here. I'm probably a little over cautious because a chimney fire burned our house to the ground when I was a kid.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for the feedback. I have a clear view of it from the ground and it looks clean as a pin. It's reassuring to know that the cap can be cleaned from below. The sweep I used has a good reputation and came highly recommended. I just didn't get to talk to him the day he was here. I'm probably a little over cautious because a chimney fire burned our house to the ground when I was a kid.
I don't blame you. I shut mine down once a month and clean it because I want to make sure that it never happens to me.

I don't blame you. I shut mine down once a month and clean it because I want to make sure that it never happens to me.
Once a month? Wow that is allot

sooteater. Takes me about 15 minutes. From bottom up.
yeah but what about the wear and tear on the liner and equipment. I personally set mine up to make sure that if there ever was a fire my house would be safe. and then i clean once a year. I am not by any means saying what you are doing is wrong if that is what makes you comfortable then go for it but it is un necessary as long as you have good wood and good burning practices

yeah but what about the wear and tear on the liner and equipment. I personally set mine up to make sure that if there ever was a fire my house would be safe. and then i clean once a year. I am not by any means saying what you are doing is wrong if that is what makes you comfortable then go for it but it is un nessecary
I have a good liner. Duraliner I haven't noticed any wear on it. I know it probably isn't needed, but I just like knowing it is clean.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.