What are max btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
I'm looking to upgrade and have been looking around and noticed this, and I did search. Example, the Osburn 2400next has a max btu of 100k I believe and the VC Merrimack has a max of 55k....The fireboxes I think are only .2 cubic feet different. What's up with that?

And what's "epa test fuel"?

BTU numbers are marketing bs. If you want more heat than what you are getting now, get a bigger stove. Firebox size is the best indication of a stove's heating capabilities.
EPA test fuel is douglas fir, I believe.

What are max btu's?

Fantasy numbers concocted by stove manufacturers. As was stated previously, firebox size, home layout, and insulation levels are what matters. When in doubt, go big.

How much space are you trying to heat? Didn't you just buy that vista this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.