1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What are some affordable ideas for floor protection?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WestVirginian, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestVirginian

WestVirginian New Member

Hi everyone--

I'm looking for affordable options for floor protection. I'm installing a Jotul 500 into my fireplace, but it doesn't quite fit on the hearth, so I'll need some floor protection. Manual calls for something 56'x50.5'. I need something that isn't tall, because the stove flue will barely fit into the existing fireplace. Other configuration considerations are that the fireplace has about 19 inches of tiled hearth coming out, that is flush with a wood floor.

Cost is also an issue. Looking for something that won't break the bank. In terms of style, probably something simple--not fancy.

Any ideas? What do you use?

Thanks so much for any ideas. Ian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dr Bigwood

Dr Bigwood New Member

Loc:
    Dowling, MI
    Before you do anything you be sure to consult your manual for R-value requirements! Congrats on the Jotul 500!
    I am facing the same challange that you are. I am installing a Jotul Castine. I think what am going to do is purchase 1 or 2 sheets(depending on R-value requirements for the Castine) of micore and place a sheet of cement board over the micore. Then my wife and I will try to find some tile we like. We are also thinking about pouring cement.....? My goal is to spend less than $150.00 and have a hearth that meets code.
    Good Luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.