1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What are the opinions on this new fan?

Post in 'The Gear' started by chazcarr, Dec 6, 2012.

1. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    I need some new fans for my house, the current ones are an electrical nightmare and more likely to burn the place down then my insert ever will. While researching I came across this fan, and would like some people's opinion on it.

It is new, and pricey. However it seems to move (hopefully warm) air around quite well and Christmas is almost here.

Thoughts?

More info one it here

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    I think I would hold off for now and see if & how it flies.
  3. Tramontana

Tramontana Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    From the look of the demo video, it appears to be an exhaust fan, not a circulation fan. Watching the smoke column, it disappears vs dispersing?

Did I miss something?

Cheers!
  4. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    If you get one let us know how it works out. Looks like one of them would be perfect fpr my place but wicked pricey.
  5. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    Th fan is supposed to even out the temperature in the entire room floor to ceiling. So I think the point is that it fogs the smoke everywhere.

I will hold off for now, seems great, but if it is popular it will probably drop in price eventually.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    At my local vmc (Vets of madison co) they have 4 of these but there used to eat smoke.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I don't like the look of them at all. WAY too contemporary, IMO. But I'm old-fashioned as it gets, so that's just a personal opinion.

Not to mention they are danged expensive....
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Where do you tie the stuffed animals to entertain the kids?
    tbuff likes this.
  9. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Looks like they would be fine in winter, pulling air up and sending sideways to the walls. Can't be reversed in summer like a standard ceiling fan, though, so you wouldn't get the cooling downdrafts. I don't believe they're selling these as exhaust fans or to deal with smoke (the white stuff was computer graphics to illustrate airflow), but rather as replacements for conventional ceiling fans.