what are you doing to your propane tank for p-hot storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atvalaska

Jul 22, 2014
nenana
welding WHERE ... lol? Just to get and idea what folks have found best? I did some searching ...and other then cleaning out old tanks I ain't getting the hits I need...what ya got? ..... just to "expand" the water of my boiler

Last edited:
MIG'd using ER-70S-6 medium steel wire. I'm assuming you meant wire not wear. Leak checked with ~20-30 psi to find/fix the pin holes. I used nipples instead of weldolets so the threads would be exposed after foaming.

Tenman may have translated for me. Sorry! If we are talking pipe bosses I've always used thread-o-lets. For diverters inside the tank I use a double tap bushing. On the tank side of bushing I install a 4" piece of pipe and a 90 elbow. The pipe looks like an L when assembled. Screw that into tank making sure the diverter is facing in the correct direction and then connect your supply and return lines to same. As Tenman described it is easier to make connections to tank, if its foamed, if you use nipples. If I'm using foam I just screw in the nipple length needed to allow for foam. Both ways work but the double tap bushing is the easiest way I've found to add diverters. If you need a source for weld-o-lets or thread-o-lets let me know. I found a good one.
I'm insulating my tanks (2- 1000 gals) in an enclosure with ridged foam board and cellulose.

Last edited:
FYI...

The thread-o-lets and double tap bushing also work great if you want to fabricate a couple of temp wells to check upper and lower temps in a horizontal tank arrangement. I like to use a 1" thread-o-let for this. To install select an area on the top of tank and install 2 - 1" thread-o-lets. you will need 2 - 1"x1/2" double tap bushings. Make-up a temp well to install on the tank side of the double tap. I use about a 4" piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a male adapt on one end and a cap on the other. Install this on the tank side of the double tap and then screw into your thread-o-let. That is your top temp well. You do the same for a bottom temp well except of course make it longer. I set mine about 2" from bottom of tank. This one will be roughly 38" overall length. Dry fit to determine what you need. Once installed you can slide your temp probes into the temp wells. Doing it this way also gives you the option to attach pipe or tubing to the exterior side of the double tap and route your probes from wherever they are needed. It's also just a simple matter of pulling out a probe if it fails, an inserting a new one. If you are burying your tanks in cellulose this works great. If the probe fails just pull it out and insert a new one. I tape a length of weed-eater string to the tank probes. Makes it easy to pull out and install. Just leave it attached! A poor mans wire snake! LOL!!!

Last edited:
FYI...

The thread-o-lets and double tap bushing also work great if you want to fabricate a couple of temp wells to check upper and lower temps in a horizontal tank arrangement. I like to use a 1" thread-o-let for this. To install select an area on the top of tank and install 2 - 1" thread-o-lets. you will need 2 - 1"x1/2" double tap bushings. Make-up a temp well to install on the tank side of the double tap. I use about a 4" piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a male adapt on one end and a cap on the other. Install this on the tank side of the double tap and then screw into your thread-o-let. That is your top temp well. You do the same for a bottom temp well except of course make it longer. I set mine about 2" from bottom of tank. This one will be roughly 38" overall length. Dry fit to determine what you need. Once installed you can slide your temp probes into the temp wells. Doing it this way also gives you the option to attach pipe or tubing to the exterior side of the double tap and route your probes from wherever they are needed. It's also just a simple matter of pulling out a probe if it fails, an inserting a new one. If you are burying your tanks in cellulose this works great. If the probe fails just pull it out and insert a new one. I tape a length of weed-eater string to the tank probes. Makes it easy to pull out and install. Just leave it attached! A poor mans wire snake! LOL!!!

Yeah both double tapped and duplex bushings are handy for putting wells and dip tubes into tanks.

Here is a 4 well nipple I built for putting sensors at various levels in a tank. I used pex as the wells with a brass plug at the end filled with transfer grease.

I like the weed eater string idea, I sacrificed an old wire puller tape to cut pieces for the sensor removal.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 7.00.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 7.00.56 PM.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 7.01.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-05 at 7.01.12 PM.png
    285 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: alaskawild
Yeah both double tapped and duplex bushings are handy for putting wells and dip tubes into tanks.

Here is a 4 well nipple I built for putting sensors at various levels in a tank. I used pex as the wells with a brass plug at the end filled with transfer grease.

I like the weed eater string idea, I sacrificed an old wire puller tape to cut pieces for the sensor removal.
Bob...

VERY NICE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.