What are your thoughts on the EPA's new Proposed Rule?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
The comment period just opened up last week and runs through May. You can review the rule and provide comments here - https://www.federalregister.gov/art...-heaters-new-residential-hydronic-heaters-and

I'm not against the general intent of what the EPA tries to do, and historically I believe the forced technological advancements are reasonable and welcome (perhaps tolerable is a better word). Glancing through the proposal though, it looks like they have estimated the cost increases for each "hydronic heater" to be on the order of $6500, per appliance!?! What are they proposing is required to meet these standards that would possibly cost an additional $6500 and could the market possibly withstand something like that?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have seen this hashed to death in various forums. Whether or not the proposed rules are reasonable is a question that will be decided, but commenters quickly devolve this into political tirades which end up no where but negative.

Reactions: flyingcow
Perhaps this is a political statement but my biggest fear is that decisions are made by the uninformed most of the time.

my biggest fear is that decisions are made by the uninformed most of the time.
Too often seems the case, right?
We seem want people to use renewables then go to such lengths that it makes hydrocarbons seem a better option.
When operated properly, my gasser doesn't seem such a polluter.

Edit: Just reread it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not adding new standards, rather tightening existing standards through enforcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.