what axe ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outcast

Jun 24, 2012
hello, gents. FNG here.

i am looking for an axe to split my logs.probably a wedge or 2 also. what should i be looking for here ?
stay away from ?

thanx

Fiskars are popular around here, I love my x25 but would probably get the x27 if I did it over. Those little things outperform a heavy maul and don't wear you out. I had a hard time convincing myself to spend the money until I tried one. Then I bought one!

Reactions: Coal Reaper
My manual splitting arsenal, in order of preference:

1. Fiskars X27.
2. 8 lb. maul
3. Wedge & 10 lb. sledge.

Reactions: chazcarr
Fiskars X27 would be a good place to start for someone new to hand splitting. It has a 36 inch handle which is safer than shorter handled splitters. The composite handle is very durable so it should withstand the overstrikes while you improve your accuracy. It's nice and light too.

6# maul. Just light enough to swing fast and enough weight to follow through. Cheap and easy to find in stores. No splitting block required. No sharpening necessary. Simplicity at its finest. Once you have mastered your splitting skills with a 6# maul you will be able to make firewood easily and quickly for the rest of your life, most likely with the same maul.

I have had the X25 for 3 years and recently bought an X27. The past couple of days I have been splitting about 2/3 cord of wood scrounged over the summer and fall. The wood ranged from 24" down to 3" in diameter and included maple, oak, pine, locust, arborvitae and some unidentified species. To my surprise, I found that I liked splitting most wood with the X25 better than the X27. I had assumed I would like the longer handle of the X27 better. (Most of my splitting is on a wide round about 18" high.) The X27 is nice for some really tough pieces, but I think I get better accuracy with the X25 and maybe more speed. Anyway, both of these axes are great, although they have a learning curve if you are used to a maul. Keep your feet spread apart and swing over your head, not over your shoulder. I also have an 8 lb. maul and wedges, but have not used them in two years.

I think I'd really like the 36" X27 handle on the original Super Splitting Axe (SSA) head. The SSA head is heavier, flares out wider from edge to butt, and has a little shorter edge, which makes for the impact force being concentrated in a smaller area.

Fiskars 28" Pro Splitting Axe, Original Fiskars 28" Super Splitting Axe, Fiskars 36" X27 Splitting Axe:

FiskarsAxes001.jpg

FiskarsAxes002.jpg

FiskarsAxes003.jpg

Reactions: trailmaker
I love my x25..........I see no need for me to get the x27......There is very little that I cannot split with it........but then again what I cannot split with it I would not be able to split with a maul......nasty pieces for the splitter. Love mine. took me from using my splitter almost exclusively to doing 95% by hand and saving uglies for the machine

X27 all the way for me. I bought one in the spring and have split around 9 cords with it. I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.