What chunk of your total utilities is heating and Domestic Hot Water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What percentage of your annual utility bill is heating?

• 10% or less

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 25% or less

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 25-33%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 33-50%

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 50-75%

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 75% or more.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I do look at/think about my resource utilization. Good for a healthy outdoors and my wallet. Waste of good things (TP) remains waste.

And I'm not saying what number of TP sheets is necessary for me 🤣

My wife has calculated the cost of TP out and decided she would rather spend more for soft stuff. I got the 3rd degree when I bought some cheap stuff.

The standard toilet paper is made from recycled fibers from magazines and other coated paper. The soft fluffy stuff is made from mostly virgin pulp from softwood trees. Far worse is the wet type toilet paper which usually is synthetic fiber with various wet strength additives that raise havoc on septic systems and municipal waste systems. The greenest option is the old fashioned standard TP.

Reactions: snobuilder
Far worse is the wet type toilet paper which usually is synthetic fiber with various wet strength additives that raise havoc on septic systems and municipal waste systems.
Truth.
If you feel like you need to better support your friendly local plumber, or drain service, keep flushing those wet wipes!
They might say "flushable" on the package, but they lie!(well, technically they are flushable...as in when you flush, they disappear...but they very often just get caught in the drain somewhere, and once one gets caught, the rest latch on like velcro!)

The standard toilet paper is made from recycled fibers from magazines and other coated paper. The soft fluffy stuff is made from mostly virgin pulp from softwood trees. Far worse is the wet type toilet paper which usually is synthetic fiber with various wet strength additives that raise havoc on septic systems and municipal waste systems. The greenest option is the old fashioned standard TP.
Pee, poop and Charmin 2 ply are the only things going in the bowl. Plates are scraped clean in the trash bucket, rinsed and placed in the dishwasher.

Interesting turn, in the last few posts.

Some very round numbers:

10 cords burned per year = $5000 - $7000 saved (2020 - 2022), depending on oil prices

Total investment, round numbers:
2 BK Ashfords = $5k / 25 years
Combustors = $160 / 4 years = $800 / 20 years
2 chimneys lined = $3k / 20 years
Chainsaws & cutting gear: $2k / 25 years
Hotrod Splitter: $2k / 30 years
Wood sheds: $5k / 30 years
Tractor: $36k
Trailer w/winch: $4k / 20+ years
Fuel < 50 gal./yr < $200/year < $4k / 20 years
Related maintenance items < $200/yr < $4k / 20 years
=====================
WORST-CASE TOTAL LIABILITIES: $65.8k / 20+ years

I left out the three Jotuls, as I actually sold each for more than I paid, they'd have to be listed with negative cost.

Amount saved per year = $5k (2020) - $7k (2022). It is expected that crude will increase 2.2x over the next 18 years (2040), and there's no saying how accurate that is or what this will do with the cost of heating oil. But as it's the only thing I have upon which to easily go, let's say my savings by 2040 could be over $15k/year. If we consider the average of pricing over the time from now to 2040, when I'll likely be ready to call this operation done, the average price saved will be 1.5x today's rate, or $10.5k per year.

Now the returns, again very round numbers:
oil saved = $10.1k/yr = $202k / 20 years (averaged 2020 - 2040)
Sale of tractor > $30k (I've actually NEVER sold a tractor for less than I paid, thanks to inflation)
Sale of splitter > $1k
Sale of chainsaws > $1k
Sale of trailer > $2k
Woodsheds: $0
Stoves: $0
Liners: $0
==========================
WORST-CASE TOTAL RETURNS: $236k / 20 years

Accounting for inflation using this method is a bit muddy, as the sale items are in (assumed) 2040 dollars, and the oil saved is in an averaged 2031'ish dollar. But the gap from $236k return on $66k spent is so enormous that arguing about the impact of inflation is really pointless, there's absolutely no way to flip the reality that the return is many times higher than the investment.

This is my most pessimistic view of it. In reality, I suspect my savings are higher. As a homeowner with some property and a big old house to maintain, I'd surely own things like a tractor, chainsaws, and a trailer... they'd just all be less expensive variants of the same things I own now. Maybe I shouldn't even count them as liabilities, with regard to heating with wood. Likewise, even if I follow my proposal to cut back some on wood usage, the gap today is so enormous that I have zero concern of closing it.

Last edited:
threads are not good for my sceptic system ...

Status
Not open for further replies.