What could the difference be between "Clean Burn" and "Blazer Premimum'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brunosrk

Oct 23, 2011
Western Wa
I've burnt "clean burn" in my Breckwell 24I for about ten years that I'd get at my local Scott McClendon Hardware with no problems. Now they're nothing but a real PITA. Fire goes out, pellets won't feed, and auger jams. I now burning "Blazer Premium I get from Lowes with no problems what so ever (I've made NO other changes). Anyone have any idea what the big difference might be? The stove is 14 years old and has been serviced each fall before burning season starts.

I've been burning Clean Burn from last year. And also Blazers. Both burn great in my M55. The Clean Burn burns cleaner and slightly hotter than the Blazers. Otherwise, both will burn forever with the stove on low. Maybe this year's Clean Burn has changed? My dealer says they are cutting the pellets shorter this year, but I have yet to confirm this from personal experience as I haven't bought any. If so, you might have to turn down the combustion air as they might burn a little quicker. But, if they are indeed shorter, it should be even more resilient to bridging.

I've been burning Blazers and getting 220-230F temps on medium stove setting. Tried Pacific Pellet and really liked them. The pellets are cut short and I was getting 240F with them, so slightly hotter and cleaner than the Blazers. Next, I'll be trying North Idaho Energy pellets and see what I think.

It does appear that this years batch of Clean Burn is running shorter. In years past it would not be uncommon to run across a pellet as long as 1 1/2". Right now I can't find any in my hopper that are over 1'. The only problem I see is addition of much smaller "bits" of pellets. So far they are burning great. I have been averaging a bag a day without a thermostat. Running on low or 2 at night and bringing the place up to temp when I wake up.

I also wonder with a stove that old, if maybe the auger motor is getting weak. As mentioned in an earlier post, the one auger jam I did have, was followed by a auger motor replacement a week later. This was on a 12 or 13 year old Whitfield stove. Actually replaced several items that year. 1 controller, 1 auger motor, and both fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.