What different types of "HOT" pellets are available near Dubuque Iowa. Currently burning Fuel King a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thz123

Jan 8, 2009
IOWA
I am interested in experimenting with different brands of so called "Hot" pellets. I live in Dubuque Iowa and would like to hear from others in our area. What other types of pellets are around? Where did you buy them? What did a bag or ton cost?

We have Fuel King, Eureka, and Marth available in Dubuque. I think the Fuel King is the hottest pellet I have found yet. I have been burning these for 3 years now, and they are the best pellet I have found . By the way Fuel King is a hard wood pellet made in Spencer, Iowa.

I have heard that soft wood pellets will produce 9000 btu's per pound. I have heard that Douglas Fir is the hottest.
I would like to hear from others in the area!

Thanks,
Tom

can't answer your questions but i'll ask one. how do you like marth? they're really cheap here

Last year, I really liked the Marth pellets. They were Hot, little fines, and little ash.

Last year, I liked burning the Marth because on my dump plate it would burn the crosote (hard black substance) of the dump plate, making pulling the cleaning rod like new. They would burn that hot.

Last year, the Marth pellets were a little darker in color, and had a smell that lead me to believe they were made from some sort of Pine.

This year the Marth pellets were a different color, had alot of fines (measurement would be 3 or 4 cups), and the heat output didn't compare to the ones last year. This year the color is very light, maybe made from oak.

I would buy them again, but maybe a smaller amount first, to make sure I would be happy with them.

Marth in a brown bag are $4.30 at Blains Farm and Fleet in Plateville, Wisconson.

I am going to be picking up my last ton that I paid for awhile ago and am thinking of upgrading to Eureka. I tried a couple bags a month ago and they were much cleaner than the Jeds and Heartland. I tried a couple bags of Bear Mountain also and they were the best I have tried to date.............

Eureka were clean, but not good heat.
Where did you buy the bear mountain at? How much?

My dealer in Dale WI. has them. They are usually sold out before heating season begins, so you have to do the early buy program. I don't know what the current price will be but they were over 320.00 per skid in 08. I don't know about the Bear Mountain, but the other pellets they sell are 60 bags per skid.........

Status
Not open for further replies.