What do I need for a ZC chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I have a ZC fireplace that I'm looking to place this insert into:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442426_200442426

The current setup has a 9" ID chimney, and I need to install a 6" liner.

1. Does the liner need to be insulated? I've done a search, and seems like there's disagreement as to whether this is even legal or not.
2. Do I need to keep the vents for the existing ZC unit uncovered? Seems like at least maybe the chimney vents should remain uncovered, though my local store told me to just cover everything with the surround. What about the vents that circulate air around the existing insert?

you can not put that insert into a zc fireplace i called the company that makes it they told me no go, i went with a regency 1200I that can go into a zc fireplace going on my 3rd year working verygood

Nola Mike,

Usually it's a 8 inch chimney that needs to have a 6 inch liner inserted in the pipe because of the efficiency of the new stoves. Not sure on codes for insulating the chimney.

You don't list the name of your zc that you have. So one thing I could suggest is not all inserts are rated for zc stoves find one that is. You should never alter the zc stove like removing the bricks inside for a bigger insert. Main reason is...well I'm sure you know the reason.

Once you have the right insert you can leave the outside vent closed if the stove is on a outside wall ( you won't need that air to burn for the new stove ) but if you enclosed the stove with a surround keep the bottom open so air can get under for cooling...that's what I was told.

Good Luck...
md

I have a insert in my ZC, here is a quote from my inserts manual

" All convection vents and louvers must be left unmodified and unobstructed"

As for the insulated liner, well i do not have one on mine, manual does say to "insulate the top 4 to 6 feet to prevent heat loss", but i did not have that done, dont know what type of heat I would be loosing up there anyway. I do not have a creosote problem and it drafts just fine. it is a short run and I live a in a milder climate

I believe the diameter of the liner is dictated by the flue diameter on your insert, not by the diameter of your zc chimney

Image003.gif

Image009.gif

To be a ZC liner it must have a minimum of 1" of insulation surrounding the entire liner.

cary said:
you can not put that insert into a zc fireplace i called the company that makes it they told me no go, i went with a regency 1200I that can go into a zc fireplace going on my 3rd year working verygood

from the intallation manual:

2. INSTALLATION INTO AN EXISTING FACTORY-BUILT ZERO-CLEARANCE
FIREPLACE: It is possible to install a wood insert into an existing factory-built zero-clearance
fireplace. However, there currently exists no UL or ULC standard specific to that type of
installation. The first thing that must be verified is that the factory-built zero clearance fireplace is
listed (it must be certified by a competent certification body such as Omni or Warnock Hersey). It
must be suitable for use with solid fuel and nothing in the owner’s manual must specifically prohibit
the installation of a fireplace insert. When in doubt, check with the fireplace manufacturer. The
installation of the zero-clearance fireplace MUST be thoroughly inspected by a professional in order
to ensure that it still meets the manufacturer’s specs and code conformity. The chimney must be of at
least 1" (25 mm) larger in diameter to accommodate a required continuous stainless steel liner
running from the flue collar to the top of the chimney termination.

well, still not sure what i need here. i guess i might as well go with the insulated chimney. currently, i have a heatilator mark 123 with a 9" double wall chimney. i need a 6" liner for any of the inserts.

Nola Mike

Whatever insert you select will have a statement about what ZC fireplaces it can be installed in (like the one you mention above). As for the flue, you will need to choose a liner that will allow for install in a ZC flue - this is the tricky part. There is a post from JTP10181 here about lining ZC fireplace flues. My conclusion is that the safest bet is to fully insulate a liner with ceramic wool blanket wrap.

Looking at the Heatilator manuals from their site it looks like thier flues required 2" air gap when installed, so assuming it was installed to code when done the first time, an 6" liner with 1/2" of blanket wrap would be recommended, and appear to meet all your requirements.

One assumption I made was that your flue is the 9" ID (inner diameter ID). the others still reuired the 2" gap, but getting a 6" liner down with 1/2" of wrap would be tight.

You can get your specific Heatilator manual from thier site here.

Status
Not open for further replies.