What do You Guys Use On The Inside Of A Pellet Stove For Paint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Chazy, NY 12921
4 years old and needing a better than average cleaning. I have every electric brush and dremel known to man so its time to get in there and touch er up. Whats the usual method and stuff you guys use? Is the old type smear on stove paint good for rust protection on these sheet metal things or is there something better? I realize the spray option is best for some places but what about the flats and easy to reach stuff. Would a can of BBQ black do as well? No 2 part epoxy stuff need apply, been there done that with enough cars, I want the simple route.

Driz:
Have you cleaned your stove already? Mine is twice as old as yours and have not seen a need to paint. If you start scowering and roughing the surface, you might need a coating, but you shouldn't need to take anything like a wirebrush to it unless you have neglected it. Even the Kozy I bought used and had been abused and left in a damp area cleaned up very nice inside and out.

Besides, do you really see the interior? Is your concern rust? If you have some problems with that, then you may want to touch up the finish. Any high quality high temp paint should do. If it's good to 2K -F, you should be good to go. Don't break the bank for paint, as it will not be seen, much. Spray cans are good, but take everything apart, so you don't paint it permanently.

We get plenty of humidity here and everything gets some rust eventually. Mine got its share last summer when for some reason it got quite a bit of surface rust on the innards. Don't forget mine burns mostly corn so it will tend to get more rust than any other type just from the starches. This year I hosed it down with light oil and it seems ok but the ash pan and burn pot are pretty heavy with it. Not worried about the ash pan really. If it gets thin then all I have to do is weld in a new base twice as thick as the old one right on top of it. Its the innareds themselves that concern me. I live in the rustbelt and know the stuff far too well. Just like cancer its best addressed before it starts then if not you just have to do what you can to keep it at bay. Every little bit helps.

Temps might be a bit high for direct flame contact with paint. though high temp bbq paint would be my choice if I was going to paint it. How about spraying it with a light coat of oil or silicone?

Rutland #80 stove paint should work for the sheet metal stuff inside, or any hi-temp black paint for that matter. I dont know if you can paint the pot.

I worked on ours in the showroom and it was nasty inside (no rust though)... I was like... what the heck is the point of painting it, it will just look like that in a day again anyway.

Guess that's one of the advantages of a stainless steel burn pot, Burning corn you do have the disadvantage of more "clinker" type build up. The addition of paint may act as a primer for more build. It's my opinion to not paint. If you have a cast iron burn pot, the starchy build will protect the pot during the heating season, and a little light oil should work for the off season. plugging the exhaust and intake during the Summer and a dish of kitty littler should stop moisture during the Summer. Whatever builds is only surface rust, besides. Doesn't look too cool, but won't eat your stove.

if its rust during the off season , try opening a couple boxes of baking soda and setting them in the ash pan , burn pot and hopper , works like a dessicant , may not make it "arid" but it should help if the stove is left sealed in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.