What do you use to clean up dirt, ashes, etc?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod1911

Nov 13, 2012
I finally finished my basement so I would like to keep it cleaner around my stove.

1) I will use a small brush/broom and pan when the stove is going to clean around it. Do you have any suggestions on a good brush/pan set? Many just look good but don't work.
2) I would like to vacuum the ash, dirt and wood particles around the hearth when the stove is cold. Do you have any recommendation? I have been looking at small handheld vacuums made by Dirt Devil, Black and Decker and Bissel.
3) Any other ideas on cleaning around the stove?

I just use a cheap plastic dust pan and broom normally for routine cleaning around the hearth . . . use the Loveless ash vac when cleaning ash off the ash lip and sometimes to do around the hearth when there is a chance there may be an errant ember or coal.
Whatever vac you go with . . . a) vacuum when it is cool and be very careful that you do not vacuum up any hot coals (although it sounds like you're planning on using the vacuum for around the stove and not in the stove and b) get one that has a very good filtering system or ability to put in a good bag as ash can be pretty fine.

A paper plate....

I have a 1 gallon mini shop vac in my stove room. Please be careful!! Always remember you are potentially introducing an ember to the finest dust under forced air which is a recipe for serious issues.

I use my central vac, good dirt capacity and easy to empty.

I just got this ash vac last week and wish I had it for years. Not two hundred bucks like the others, well made, no ash dust blowing out of the exhaust hole like a shop vac and the filter is washable. Not to mention small and easy to store and fling around.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PAVC101-Amp-Ash-Vacuum/dp/B0060EUA32

And replacement filters when needed are cheap.

That looks like a good little unit, might have to consider that one.

I just got this ash vac last week and wish I had it for years. Not two hundred bucks like the others, well made, no ash dust blowing out of the exhaust hole like a shop vac and the filter is washable. Not to mention small and easy to store and fling around.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PAVC101-Amp-Ash-Vacuum/dp/B0060EUA32

And replacement filters when needed are cheap.
Just bought the same one from a local builders supply store. Best $70 I ever spent. I clean up the soot from a chimney cleaning better than I could in the past. Vacuum out the stove and the ash box without raising any dust. Keeps my wife happy!

I like my wife's Dyson. just kidding. I have a mini shop vac that really works great . Filter holds in the fine ash and dust.

Reactions: glennm
Powersmith is a great buy have an older model I cannot find Ive been using my plastic rigid mini 5 gal car vac but with blue fine filter works fine no red embers or you melt vac Im burning rock hard 2 yr old saw mill slab wood and i clean ash pan about erry 36 hrs on near full tilt.. ash pan is a wandaful thing .. lets me get almost all of it outta stove whilst hot n wainting for refuel..

Status
Not open for further replies.