What do you wish for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Some of us have been burning for a long time and have pondered what it would be like/wished for something/feature/tool to be available. Maybe somebody in the industry will see one of the ideas here and it’ll gain some legs.

I’d like this to be a fun thread vs “I wish my stove would would run.” Lol.

I’ll go first.

I’d love to see a catalytic key damper. It’d be fun to do a little air scrubbing on a non cat stove by flipping a cat from vertical to horizontal. I don’t think it’d change the world, but some of us like to fiddle with things, and it’d justify watching flue temps a bit more. Maybe it’d knock down the draft a bit on tall chimneys too.

If there’s a market for steam punk Sterling engine powered stove top fans, I bet there’s a market for this!

Reactions: kcmclellan
Some of us have been burning for a long time and have pondered what it would be like/wished for something/feature/tool to be available. Maybe somebody in the industry will see one of the ideas here and it’ll gain some legs.

I’ll go first.

I’d love to see a catalytic key damper. It’d be fun to do a little air scrubbing on a non cat stove by flipping a cat from vertical to horizontal. I don’t think it’d change the world, but some of us like to fiddle with things, and it’d justify watching flue temps a bit more. Maybe it’d knock down the draft a bit on tall chimneys too.

If there’s a market for steam punk Sterling engine powered stove top fans, I bet there’s a market for this!
There were key damper cats made. They didn't work out

I figured it was something like that. The main difference is they were actually trying to clean up a stove’s operation .

I’m trying to amuse myself. If it cut my draft down a bit and 1gph of particulate out of my flue gas I’d consider it a win.

Reactions: bholler
It’s kind of like owning an old car. Fun, but choose the modern one for the cross country road trip.

Reactions: PaulOinMA

I’ll go first.

Blaze King should build a large non -cat lots of people don't get the concept of running a catalytic stove correctly, something with a 10 +hour burn,minimum 3.5 ,4 cu foot firebox.

Blaze King should build a large non -cat lots of people don't get the concept of running a catalytic stove correctly, something with a 10 +hour burn,minimum 3.5 ,4 cu foot firebox.
Lots of people don't get the concept of running noncats correctly either.

I'm not sure about this; BK does cats very well. Would they do tube stoves as well?
Would they be better than e.g. PE or Lopi Liberty? Quite some competition already in the tube stove segment.

In my view, BK should change the design in the top of the firebox. To not have the air tubes angle down to the back (I think the air will flow horizontal too, given the suction of a properly specced chimney) and limit loading capacity. I also wonder if the cat housing, dropping down as it does, could move up a bit to give a more flat top of the inside firebox.

I'm not sure about this; BK does cats very well. Would they do tube stoves as well?
Would they be better than e.g. PE or Lopi Liberty? Quite some competition already in the tube stove segment.

In my view, BK should change the design in the top of the firebox. To not have the air tubes angle down to the back (I think the air will flow horizontal too, given the suction of a properly specced chimney) and limit loading capacity. I also wonder if the cat housing, dropping down as it does, could move up a bit to give a more flat top of the inside firebox.
And design a big stove that has proper proportions unlike the odd looking king lol.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Odd --> unique
🤣

A wood burner that automatically adjusts itself for the temp you set and automatically tells you via some computer what you need to do to make that happen,. Drier wood, more or less draft, while the stove controls itself for things that it can.
Basically a super efficient dummy proof stove that has built in tech to provide data nerds like me stuff to geek over.

A wood burner that automatically adjusts itself for the temp you set and automatically tells you via some computer what you need to do to make that happen,. Drier wood, more or less draft, while the stove controls itself for things that it can.
Basically a super efficient dummy proof stove that has built in tech to provide data nerds like me stuff to geek over.
I.e. a Blaze King...?
(or another thermostatically controlled stove)

That I have absolutely no interest in at all personally. But there are some customers who just can't do it right now matter how much I try

i wish my wood stove had a propane fire starter like my fire pit has. In my pit you stack up the wood, open the valve on the propane bottle and lite it. When the wood is burning shut the propane off.

It would make all those cold restarts effortless.

i wish my wood stove had a propane fire starter like my fire pit has. In my pit you stack up the wood, open the valve on the propane bottle and lite it. When the wood is burning shut the propane off.

That could be very nice for people who do lots of cold starts

They used to sell the non-cat Briarwood but it is no longer listed or supported.

Some Lopis have this feature as an option but it is electric in the form of a mini-heatgun.
Yeah I have heard mixed reviews of the green start. Some people love it some don't

I have a torch still from back when there was this stuff called copper water pipes. :) I use it for just a quick preheat of the flue pipe (10 secs or less) then starting my kindling stack. Nothing else to use it for other than lighting birthday candles.

Reactions: kcmclellan
I could see where the preheat/starter could lower emission levels. If you were able to start with a warm stove, you’d be able to get the cat to light off or secondaries going faster. It’d probably keep the chimney cleaner too.

The Keystone is sweet, but one with a bigger firebox would meet a lot of peoples' heat needs better. I also had a Fireview, which was a step up in output (1.8 vs. 1.4,) but wasn't a fan of the small window and no ash grate. With tightening up the envelope here a bit, the Keystone keeps up better but for bigger houses it just won't do the job.

Lol, that is possible with any stove, at least the burn 18 hrs with 50 pct wood. It'll be smoldering all the 18 hrs long - but having to evaporate all that water may leave zero BTUs for your home... (Not to speak of what will happen to the chimney)

Reactions: Woody Stover