What does a 5 cord stack look like

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I moved into my new place at the end of December this year and had to scratch pretty hard to find wood to burn. That kind of experience really motivated me to stock up for the next year or two as soon as possible.

The first picture is a 58 foot long stack, with two 16-18" wide rows, 4 feet tall. It is almost all cottonwood except for two trees worth of spruce and pine. See if you can find the color change. This stack is 5 cords and I placed it where the stack runs east west and the prevailing wind blows from the southwest so this should be the "ideal" stack location for rapid drying. I have bought the plastic sheeting to place on top of the stack but I can't decide when to put it on and how far to drape it down the sides.

The next photo is the barn. On each side of the barn is a 7' tall by 20' long stack up agaist the barn side so wind can't blow through it. Sun can't really get it either. On the photo side there is a second row that is 5 feet tall making for a barn total of 4.125 cords being mostly red cedar with about 1/3 of it doug fir and alder. It won't dry as quickly but has been drying since late winter. I would love to just fill this barn up but it would never dry so it will be my stage two area.

This week my chimney will be torn down. With it will go the Lopi insert and in its place will go the new Hearthstone Heritage. My house is old and leaky, I have a chill remover fire going right now to bump the temp from 64 to 74 inside the house.

So when should I cover the outside pile? How far to drape the plastic.

Attachments

• wood1.JPG
    wood1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,365
  • wood2.JPG
    wood2.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,422
Wow, Highbeam, that's impressive. I like your place too.

Just cover the top of the stack. Leave the sides open.

Five and three quarter cords of red oak and one and three quarter cords of pine look kinda like this:

Attachments

• pine 2007.JPG
    pine 2007.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • oak 2007.JPG
    oak 2007.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Status
Not open for further replies.