What does metalbestos failure look like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mous

Sep 6, 2023
N California
A neighbor was told by a chimney sweep that her chimney was dangerous, and he wouldn't touch it. I don't know how old it is but it looks ok to me. Can someone tell me what he might be worried about? The neighbor is an invalid space case that might look like a target for a scammer. Maybe he was sending business to one of the local vendors ($14k quote) that would include a kickback.

Possibly the interior of the flue is coming apart or has developed holes. Without seeing it then it's complete speculation but i'd lean that way.

You might want to find out exactly what the problem was. It might be a section of chimney needs to be replaced. I'd call selkirk to verify, but it looks like Selkirk still makes pipe that will fit with Metalbestos pipe.

Screenshot_20230909-062443_Chrome.jpg