What else do I need to go along with wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes be cautious. You are playing with fire!!! There are a lot of tools wood burners have. But wood cut to size and matches will get a fire going. Here are a few of my tips dealing with some issues that are waiting to get you.

Empty the ash pan, outside into a metal container. It must be placed on fireproof ground. Week old cold ash is still burning. Do anything else you will have a fire.

Never run the stove with the ash door open. When you pull the ash pan out, ash will fall in back preventing the pan from going all the way in. The door won't close. When starting up, you need more draft. You can run with the side door cracked open.

Use the side door for loading. Ash spills out of the front.

The wood you get won't burn well. It's not seasoned. You need a real hot fire to keep it burning.

Because the wood is not seasoned and you haven't learned how to burn, you will blacken the glass. You can learn to burn all winter and only need to clean white haze off the glass.

Most important your wood is not so good. After a month or so clean the chimney. see what comes out. Learn to do it yourself. Most of us clean once a year. The screen on the cap is likely to plug up in the first year. This will cause smoke to pour out of the stove at start up.

Spend some time here. You can find all you need know about wood stoves. This all sounds like gloom and doom, but its not that hard.

I don't have indoor and outdoor ash cans. I have one little ~4 gallon can with a tight lid. When I'm ready to clean out the stove, I go outside, get the can, dump it out, go inside and fill it up, and put it back outside. It is only indoors when I am actively putting ash into it. It usually sits about 10 feet from the house on a cement patio. If you don't have any concrete out back, you can just get a couple pavers or cinder blocks to make a little stand for it, to keep it off of whatever flammable sticks/leaves/grass might be around.

Last year I was screening the charcoal out of the ash with a fry basket so I could have nice fine ash for the plants in the spring, and reuse the charcoal in the stove. This year I've been lazier and I've just been putting the whole thing in a pit.