What else works for a gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stallau

May 17, 2009
Southern ME
On my breckwell stove there is a fiberglass like mesh gasket where the fan mounts that pushes the air up and out the exhaust pipe. It broke apart where the screws go through it and I was wondering if there is something else I could use that would give me a good seal (that co2 in the house thing) but also take the heat. I'm sure breckwell will sell me the same thing but if it didn't stay together too well in the first place why put the same thing back.

Thanks for the help

Some members on the site have gone to their local plumbing/heating supply and gotten a gasket material call Linn Sheet.....it's the stuff that gaskets are made of that are used between the burner unit of oil burners and the firebox, etc. You can buy it by the sheet, and cut your own gaskets (use what's left of the old one as a template).

Another solution would be to use High Temp Silicone seal.....Permatex makes one that comes in a red tube that is good to 650 degrees F...... we use it on our race car exhaust headers and they get VERY hot. It's a little harder to remove the exhaust blower after using the silicone, but it makes a good seal. www.permatex.com/products/Automotiv...ermatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm

And then you could use a combo of these 2, but I think that's overkill.

You can just go to NAPA Auto Parts and buy a sheet of universal Exhaust manifold gasket…

It’s a bit of a hassle to cut (I used a Dremel grinder) since it’s reinforced with metal strands but seems to work well.

The actual product I bought at NAPA was Fel-Pro, Pro-Ramic, part#2499 (12in x 28.5in x 1/16in) and I think I paid around $12…

cncpro said:
You can just go to NAPA Auto Parts and buy a sheet of universal Exhaust manifold gasket…

It’s a bit of a hassle to cut (I used a Dremel grinder) since it’s reinforced with metal strands but seems to work well.

The actual product I bought at NAPA was Fel-Pro, Pro-Ramic, part#2499 (12in x 28.5in x 1/16in) and I think I paid around $12…

he could do that, but the original gasket was designed to dampen vibration, the reinforced gaskets will amplify noise/ vibration.
same with high temp silicone in time

use lytherm!!!!!

go to the local stove shop and buy some self adhesive stove glass gasket. it comes in whatever length you want off a spool, and is typically from 1/2" to 1" wide. it is ribbonlike with a peel off adhesive the hold it in place while you fit it. you can poke the mounting studs from the blower housing right thru it, as it is loose and ropelike (much like the gasket on the stove door, just flat instead of round. ).. for good measure, buy a small tube of rtv hi temp silicone, and apply a thin layer to the adhesive side of the gasket, so it stays on when you remove it. it is much more durable.get the thinner stuf so you don't intterupt the path of the fan blade ;-) . or you could buy a stock of new stock gaskets, most are fairly cheap. :exclaim:

Status
Not open for further replies.