What exactly is a 'spec sheet'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
I'm trying to get the proper permit(s) for installation of my new Jotul C450 Kennebec insert and I'm getting contradictory and confusing information.

The town building department has been helpful to a point, but they say I need to supply a "manufacturer's spec sheet" as part of my "solid-fuel-burning appliance" permit application. But they couldn't tell me exactly what that is or what info it has on it, except in general terms.

My dealer says it's all in the manual. I have printed out pages that contain info about dimensions, combustion specs, and clearance to combustible materials. Obviously this is not a one-page "sheet" and I don't want to get to the buidling office and discover I don't have the correct info.

Any advice?

Thanks,

-dan

Copy the Manual, page for page, & take THAT to them.
You can't be wrong. That is ALL that you need.
If they need more, they must tell you exactly what that is.
Then again, I don't live in your state...

It's just a term. They want to see the manual's clearance requirements for the insert and UL testing. You should be fine printing out a copy of those pages.

Last edited:
Reactions: danham
They're probably looking for the specs for clearances. My town wanted the complete installation manual.

Paul is in MA, so follow Bob and Paul's recommendation. Print out the whole manual.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up printing out all of the installation pages from the manual and the very nice person at the Building Dept. said that was just what the inspector needs when he looks at the finished installation. I should have my permit in a few days.

-dan

Reactions: begreen
Great.

Have the measurement worksheet for your unit ready for the inspection, if you didn't submit one with the paperwork. I submitted one, and also had all my paperwork out when the inspector came over. I showed him that I easily exceeded all clearances and the only clearance that was close (2" greater than spec) was hearth depth. That's the only one he measured. Eyeballed the rest. Looked in the fireplace and up the chimney to see the liner.

Let us know how it goes.