What gas fire do I need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alinc

Oct 18, 2007
North Carolina
I moved to a 1995 home in NC which generally heats and cools efficiently. The large family room has a cathedral ceiling and a gas log fire behind a fixed (sealed) 'glass' screen, it has a fan but this is very weak and the unit provides almost no heat and appears purely decorative. There is no proper chimney but there is a vent in the outside wall at back of the unit. Because of the high ceiling, this is a cool room in winter. Do you have any advice as to what can I do to change or replace the existing gas logs with something that gives real supplementary heat.

Sounds like you have a "builders box" gas fireplace. Replacement of the unit with one that has a larger BTU rating is probably all that you can do.

Figure out what brand it is and talk to a dealer. They will be able to figure out if it is operating correctly or not. If its not they could probably come get it running better for you. If it is already working good then you would have to do as Shane suggested, tear it out and get something better.

enord: the air coming out of the vent is always going to extremely hot, upwards of 400-600 degrees. That really has nothing to do with.... anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.