What happened here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Had a good load of locust burning last night , single digits temps, looks like I cooked my handle on the BK Parlor. No big deal I guess.
Combustor was pegged at 6 o'clock and burning brightly .The burn was 12 hours with a maintained temp at 5am at 72 , fire started at 5pm .

hc.jpg

Looks to me like the door handle was in front of the glass during your burn.
I have seen it before, when somebody turned the handle the wrong way &
didn't realize the door lock was not engaged correctly.

Had the same thing happen to the handle on my insert. the handle isnt in front of the glass, shows how much heat radiates from the glass door.

Looks to me like the door handle was in front of the glass during your burn.
I have seen it before, when somebody turned the handle the wrong way &
didn't realize the door lock was not engaged correctly.
There's no way possible for that scenario, as the handle even not latched is nowhere near the glass, and the same goes for latched. I'm surmising the combination of black locust and some osage just got to the wood, I'm going to check tonight and see how hot it gets at the handle with my meter. The handle is the original at 5 years old and has seen many hot fires. THX

indeed, the handle is down (not in front of the glass) when closed. It is sticking out to the side of the stove when open

My guess is the osage orange caused it. I burned that one winter in a furnace had to keep the air cut back very far I always had fully intact orange logs in the morning.

My handle on the princess is browning a bit, I figure when it finally lets go I'm just going to get one of those metal coil handles and call it a day.

I always was amused by the manuals “clearance to combustibles” spec, then they go ahead and put a combustible wayyy inside of those limits. ;lol

Reactions: brickie
My handle on the princess is browning a bit, I figure when it finally lets go I'm just going to get one of those metal coil handles and call it a dayGood idea do you know who makes one?

You oughtta take a piece of your hedge and make one yourself for the handle.
I could never accomplish that , however my Amish friend could do that blindfolded, a good idea , maybe I'll give it a go

Reactions: Grizzerbear