What happens to that lithium battery at end of life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Hopefully, it is sent to a recycling center where the essential elements are recovered for reuse in a new battery. Here's how it's done.

I want to know what kind of fire suppression they have. Do wonder if the state of battery production get to the point where shredding them isn’t the best/only way to recycle them. Tesla knows which cells failed via software but the only realistic remedy is to shred the entire pack. Sure some people have been able to open them up and repair them but the new structural packs make this nearly impossible with all the adhesive foam used in the packs.

That's a good question for Li-Cycle. I know that in NYS, lithium fires are taken seriously. My guess is that state fire marshals, osha, and permitting authorities had strong input on this.
[email protected]
1-877-LI-CYCLE (542-9253)

Reactions: EbS-P