What happens when the power fails ( with a roaring fire/)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Say my stove has just started, lot of pellets in the burn pot, big roaring flame...and Zap! the powere goes out. What exactly happens?....I have no backup anything at the moment! I just assume that the natural chimney flue draft (not sure of the correct terminolog) will just suck out the smoke and the fire will go out.....Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
Say my stove has just started, lot of pellets in the burn pot, big roaring flame...and Zap! the powere goes out. What exactly happens?....I have no backup anything at the moment! I just assume that the natural chimney flue draft (not sure of the correct terminolog) will just suck out the smoke and the fire will go out.....Thanks, Bill

Your fire should slowly die out and the smoke should go up the flue provided there is in fact a good natural draft established,

If there isn't a good natural draft established the fire will slowly die out and it is possible for smoke to exit the stove via the air intake and any air wash system.

With a ripping fire, once you lose the combustion blower, the pellets will continue to burn and smolder. There will no longer be the fan to take the smoke out of the house. Theoretically, if your stove is piped correctly, with enough vertical rise, the wind will not be able to blow back into the stove, creating an indoor freaking smokeshow. But , if everything is not airtight, and you have breached gaskets or wind blows back into the pipe, then you've got problems. The biggest hazard is the fire creeping into the hopper...And when that happens, in lamen's terms- "A whole bunch of sh*t happens at once and ain't none of it good". Basically, make sure your stove is installed correctly and definately keep an eye on all of your gaskets.

...........so. with an OAK any possible chance of smoke coming back into the house is reduced???? Is that what your saying? Bill

Everyone should unplug the power on their stove a few times after it is nice and hot to test how good the draft is gonna work.

You want to know while you are watching rather than away or sleeping. As stated the more wind the more of a chance of blowing back into the house. so conditions can vary all the time.

Manufactures always state not to unplug the stove while its running. So whats the difference if the power goes out...None.

happened this morning.. well not with a rip-roaring fire. had it on low and out power cut out.
Just as others said here. Fire burned out. Noticed a slight "wood fire" smell in the house - but no smoke.
I don't have a OAK.
I've lost power with it higher as well... again, no smoke, but would notice a slight burnt wood smell in the house.

bostonfan49 said:
...........so. with an OAK any possible chance of smoke coming back into the house is reduced???? Is that what your saying? Bill

If its sealed? Yes, Smoke will exit just like it does with the vent. The reason they say no plastic in the OAK. The stove still may leak some out the airwash and door seals.

Wouldn't there be a nice size fire going once it started up considering it will reload new pellets on top of the half burned pellets?

So... An OAK could reduce smoke coming back into the house= got it!
Also may leak out of the airwash and door seals= got it!
BUT....don't understand what you mean when you talk about the OAK and you say......If it is sealed......? Can you explain? Thanks, Bill

Some just slip the OAK hose on and don't use goop or tape to seal it up. It will leak like an unsealed vent pipe fitting.

Thanks! Bill

smalltown said:
Wouldn't there be a nice size fire going once it started up considering it will reload new pellets on top of the half burned pellets?

If you check the power failure mode that your stove operates under, you should discover that the stove will either not restart on a power failure or it will enter from run mode.

It chooses which to do based upon the proof of fire system.

If it senses it has a fire going it will enter run mode on whatever the default firing rate is for the stove (usually the lowest setting) otherwise the stove will go out.

In my case, I get not a visible amount of smoke in the house, but enough to smell it and set off the smoke detector. That's with the pipe going straight out horizontally rather than having a vertical rise outside.

That is, I did until I hooked up both a UPS and a relay to shut off the thermostat, which I was greatly helped with here.

bostonfan49 said:

thats correct OAK not only gives an alternative route outside but also mitigates negative pressure in home which if strong enough can "suck" the smoke out into the home

I have a sealed OAK, and a straight out vent, no vertical rise. We just lost power this morning (again), so after three power losses I know what to expect. No smoke in house, no smoke detector going off (14 feet away), fire just goes out. Stove does not automatically relight when power comes back, I have to push the power button. My stove doesn't have an air wash, so that helps.

you run out and fire up the back-up generator
look around at all the neighbors dark houses
go back inside turn on all the lites
for the neighbors to see
then sit back and watch tv with a cold beer

bostonfan49 said:
Zap! the powere goes out. What exactly happens?.........Thanks, Bill
Well Boston Fan....
Your TV goes out until the utility man can come and fix the problem. Then your tv comes back on just in time to watch the sox blow it in the bottom of the ninth...and all Boston fans begin to talk about 2007 all over again. Just a vicious circle.....Go Pats! :sick:

To J-takeman...Yeah, Love the stove!!! Ist bag Nov 3rd, just opened my 17 bag last night. Stove goes off about 10:15PM (T-stat) comes on at 5:00AM heats the downstairs to 72 then at 7AM the T-stat backs off to 70 for the day. We use the stove all the during the day except when we are out. I think we have reduced our dependency on our (Ferrari Red) Biasi oil boiler by about 90%. I really want to get an OAK not only because I guess the stove will run/heat a little bit more effienctly but also because up here in Northern Vermont, we can lose our power numerous times during the winter. I know that if I get any appreciable amount of smoke in the house my wife will not only be pissed (me too!) but using the stove will be in jepordy!!! Now I just have to figure out where and how I get the OAK!? Bill

here's a guess based on looking at the engineering of the stove. If you have a oak and all your gaskets are good you should have a sealed system, therefore, no smoke should be able to escape into the home. Even if there is a reverse air flow and smoke comes out of oak and long as everything is sealed you should be fine.

I understand that part....It's how do I proceed? My dealer says there is no such thing for an M55 insert! I believe he is wrong. I am still trying to get someone who knows what their doing to do a Mag check on my stove because.......my dealer says: your flame looks good, your all set! I say thanks, but I want a mag check, he says theres no need! I say, dont you do a mag check on other installs or other house calls? He says no! Obviously I need someone else.......Truthfully...I think the stove is running great now that I have personally found my slider adjustment and played around with it......on the other hand, I would feel better knowing that it is set properly. I really want to know how to proceed with an OAK kit for my M55 insert. I only have two other dealers in the area.......thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
I understand that part....It's how do I proceed? My dealer says there is no such thing for an M55 insert! I believe he is wrong. I am still trying to get someone who knows what their doing to do a Mag check on my stove because.......my dealer says: your flame looks good, your all set! I say thanks, but I want a mag check, he says theres no need! I say, dont you do a mag check on other installs or other house calls? He says no! Obviously I need someone else.......Truthfully...I think the stove is running great now that I have personally found my slider adjustment and played around with it......on the other hand, I would feel better knowing that it is set properly. I really want to know how to proceed with an OAK kit for my M55 insert. I only have two other dealers in the area.......thanks, Bill

Don't you have the installation manual for your stove?

If you don't locate it on line, download, and read it cover to cover at least twice.

Me bad! I do have the install manual....actually I may not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the owners and the Technical manual (not sure if thats the same beast)...worth a read! Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
Me bad! I do have the install manual....actually I may not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the owners and the Technical manual (not sure if thats the same beast)...worth a read! Thanks, Bill

Read em both no less than 2X! If you only think you got it all read em again! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.