What have I gotten myself into?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsie

Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2009
Fingerlakes NY
Hello, my name is John and I am a newbie when it comes to wood stoves. I currently have a cheapo Vogelzang Frontiersman that I do not like due to its small firebox (16" logs) and extremely low burn time. I have been looking for a nice used stove that needs work and found this:

1986 Vermont Castings
Defiant Encore
Not pretty but works fine

So I picked it up today for $225.00 and got it home. (Pics coming soon) It is in rough shape but I figure I have enough time before winter to get it rebuilt and re-finished. Upon tear down I discovered that it is the Cat model (#0028?) and all the refractory panels are wasted and the catalyst does not look too good. As far as the rest of the stove goes it needs all new seals and gaskets, a handle or two, some mitten rack brackets, new paint, and a leg fell off the bottom.

1. Is this going to be a money pit?
2. Can I run this stove non-cat?
3. What paint do you recommend?
4. Where is the best place for parts?

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the forum John. I have two of them that require complete rebuilds after 2 seasons each burning 24/7. I think you will find as I did that you quickly spend as much rebuilding them as you would on a new non-cat steel stove.

That said, they are beautiful stoves and burn very well if meticulously maintained.

Running without using the CAT will #1 waste allot of heat and fuel. #2 Will turn the stove into a smoke dragon and probably be illegal in your populated area. As SolarAndWood said I would return the stove if you can or cut your losses and buy a steel non cat EPA type stove. An Englander, Drolet etc if your budget is tight. They will give you the most bang for your buck. There is certainly nothing wrong with a CAT stove but... They are $$$cy. I swear by them for my application. RE; type of wood available= all soft wood and many month's of winter with a well insulated home. I require long burn times and low even heat. Good luck on your stove and wood heating quest and welcome to the forum. You will receive allot of useful help and support here.
N of 60

Hmmm....It looks like you have gotten into a pile of work with that stove. I am betting with all the pieces-parts that you need (and the ones you will need two years from now to do it again), that you would be better off finding a different stove. Just my opinion.

Lots of good new and used ones out there, ya just gotta do a little homework and if looking used, be able to give an over all inspection.

Welcome to the forum. Don't feel bad, this is how you learn. My wife and I have been brunging for two years and are still learning. You came to the right place!! It sounds like you could either rebuild or by new. I do like my CAT stove but that sounds like alot of work. You can find new cats for around 150.00 on line. Try cleaning the cat first in a vinegar and water mixture. Unless the CAT is badly deformed and cracked you can usualy get it to ignite again. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.