What have you found...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
under your wood stacks? A few months ago I could smell something dead around my wood stacks but couldn't find it. Well, when I was moving the last of the wood yesterday I found the culprit, a dead opossum in the skid. I left it there and figure I'll get the skeleton out in a couple years and give it to a nature center that's always looking for skeletons.

fv

under your wood stacks? A few months ago I could smell something dead around my wood stacks but couldn't find it. Well, when I was moving the last of the wood yesterday I found the culprit, a dead opossum in the skid. I left it there and figure I'll get the skeleton out in a couple years and give it to a nature center that's always looking for skeletons.

fv

I found a chipmunk this morning popping its head in and out of one of my stacks. Pretty cute. Usually it's hard to get a good look at one because they race like he wind through the yard.

Oh yeah...spiders! Not a fan of those.

Neighbor had this at eye level in his woodshed back in August. Another was underneath, they shotgunned it. (This was decapitated and given to me for skin - I don't kill rattlers)

Last edited:
Plenty of these guys - Eastern fence lizard. These pics are from the spring,hence the blue "70's wedding tux" :)color on this male.

Plenty of snake skins and spiders .Nothing dead yet .

Snakes - none dead though! I don't kill them - we leave each other alone and they eat the mice that are there.

By the way, are you sure that opossum was dead? I hear sometimes they pretend.....

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Just mice here, nothing exotic, thankfully.

I found a snake shed on the side of the brick chimney a few days ago ~20' up while climbing the ladder for my sweep out.
The rat snakes can climb - hopefully the attic is sealed well enough;hm

In the piles I found a stash of Jalapenos that were missing from my garden last - fall bright red ones - that chipmunk wanted to stay warm during the winter!

Reactions: fireview2788
That's the great part oh living in NH, no surprises, NOTHING can harm you. Maybe see a garder snake or two.

Snakes - none dead though! I don't kill them - we leave each other alone and they eat the mice that are there.

By the way, are you sure that opossum was dead? I hear sometimes they pretend.....

Yeah, it was dead and looked fairly mummified but I didn't poke it to find out. I've seen them play dead before and their eyes still sparkle this one didn't have any eyes TO sparkle.

fv

Leaves...

snakes(garter and blue racer). mice, including babies so young the eyes weren't open. a bat that looked sick, removed with gloved hands. lots of young woodchucks have dug holes under the skids.

I found a garter snake and a ring necked snake, also had a yellow spotted salamander, always see chipmunks poking their heads up.

spotted-salamander_721_600x450.jpg

Reactions: osagebow
I found a snake shed on the side of the brick chimney a few days ago ~20' up while climbing the ladder for my sweep out.
The rat snakes can climb - hopefully the attic is sealed well enough;hm

In the piles I found a stash of Jalapenos that were missing from my garden last - fall bright red ones - that chipmunk wanted to stay warm during the winter!

That would make him a...Chipotlemunk?

Lots of mice nests. Sometimes with babies!!! I try to save them for the cat.

Reactions: basod and osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.