What I have done thus far this summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, I have been working like a beaver this summer on several projects..First and foremost, I got my wood supply for the upcoming heating season all bucked, split and stacked by mid May..Hopefully it will be dry enough..Still havent covered it yet and wont until middle August..Have around 11 full cord. Will burn around 6 this year and basically have next years already to go!
Had my crawlspace under the house (old stone foundation) kitchen and downstairs bedroom insulated with the icenene spray foam dealer..All inside of foundation and sill plates and under all kitchen subfloor..The guy who did the work said it should make a huge difference in the colf floor etc sicne he could see the light of day in many spots when he was underneath..So, hopefully!
Other than that, been doing many more house projects, painting and the usual home care..Wont be long before the first splits are thrown into the Avalon Olympic! As my grandmother would always say on my birthday (July 4th) at the end of the day, "well, summer is over, better get ready for fall"!

Yes, summer is a busy time for all. I still have more than half of my summer projects to go, but I'll welcome fall anyway as I much prefer cool weather to hot and humid.

Good job on the wood. You'll appreciate that this winter. We have about 4 or 5 years cut, split and stacked. Man that's nice having that much on hand. If something happens that I can't cut some winter there is no worry.

Coal and wood supply ready to go. Still have plenty from last year. My big project was finally ripping out all the sofit/eaves and gutters and replacing them with vinyl. Yahoo, no more scraping painting etc!! Then there is the ten thousand other thing on my "to do" list that keep me busy every weekend too!

yeah, I plan on staying one year ahead from now on.I will figure out what I burn this year and then split that much next spring..Since I already have 5-6 full cord for next years supply already

Split up 2 cords of wood so far. Completed the siding, about 1/4 of the house. Lots of planting and landscaping. And the garden is going at full tilt, though raccoons have been an issue this year.

I have spent the summer sitting in a lawn chair watching my wood dry.

BB- I watch mine dry then get rained on- then dry , does it help when it rains then dries, does that help season it?? When should I cover August or September? Gonna replace the old slammer,
monster Gold Marc ,but still procrastinating-I should get by butt in gear and do it. I kinda grew fond of the Slammer, but need to replace it for less heat in that room.

you are gonna get a mixed consencus as to when to cover..Mine has been stacked since may and I am gonna cover it in August. I like to let the sun really bake on it as much as possible and let more air circulation around it..I figure that when its first split, its got alot of drying to do and I try to dry it as fast as possible

hardwood715 said:
BB- I watch mine dry then get rained on- then dry , does it help when it rains then dries, does that help season it?? When should I cover August or September? Gonna replace the old slammer,
monster Gold Marc ,but still procrastinating-I should get by butt in gear and do it. I kinda grew fond of the Slammer, but need to replace it for less heat in that room.

I covered it this year with black plastic and left the sides open. I left the largest open space between rows ever for air circulation. Which of course is creating a problem with water collecting in the plastic between rows on the plastic. It appears to be drying just fine. It will take another month or so in the lawn chair and a few more cases of beer to have a final report on the project.

Yep, better get moving on that replacement. Finding out I was going to have to do it ASAP last fall got kind of hectic. And then when the new stove had problems I was really glad that it was warm in December!

I know what you mean about fond of the old one. I still miss burning old brownie. That is why it became the meat smoker. Just can't part with'er just yet.

BB, a hammock seems to work much better than a lawn chair, especially one of the big Brazilian ones.

rdrcr56 said:
BB, a hammock seems to work much better than a lawn chair, especially one of the big Brazilian ones.

I've been making good use of my hammock these hot days. Nothing better than a good book, a cold beer, and a hammock.

On another note, I sold my first firewood today. A pick-up load to coffeeshop customer for $100. Ten more deals like that, and I can get a decent gas-powered wood splitter.

My house isn't being built until spring, so I might as well make a little money supplying firewood to others. Some people pay $100/month for health club memberships. I get $100 for getting into shape splitting wood.

Nice, what is a pickup truck load? 2 face cord? thats a pretty good buck your getting! I bought a nice 8hp 31ton splitter off a buddy for $350...

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Nice, what is a pickup truck load? 2 face cord? thats a pretty good buck your getting! I bought a nice 8hp 31ton splitter off a buddy for $350...

I've got a really old, rusty, beater, full size Chevy. It worked out to a little more than 2 face cords. Rather than overload it, I gave him two light loads up to the wheel wells and without filling all the way to the back (where my tailgate door sometimes falls off).

He threw in a cheeseburger and a couple of beers for lunch. The loads included some really nice hickory and oak that I processed in early 2006 and dried in the sun on pallets. I've been keeping my eyes open for used splitters but haven't scored anything yet.

WELL i GOT LUCKY WITH THE SPLITTER BEING MY BUDDIES..hE BOUGHT A tIMBERWOLF SO HE DUMPED this one. Anyways, at one time, a guy had a decent suggestion when I was looking. He said to contact the local lowes/Homedepot Rental places and ask if they had any used splitters that they wanted to sell. I guess they like to rent the newer models since they sell..Just a thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.